Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best motor to build for a 660? I want to keep it reliable I ride trails no tracks and I dnt want to bore too much. Stroker would be cool

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Buy a Hotrods or Barker/Vito's 720 kit and have fun. Keep some room in the budget for supporting mods, and hope that you are one of the lucky ones that has a robust 01 transmission.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
What's the best motor to build for a 660? I want to keep it reliable I ride trails no tracks and I dnt want to bore too much. Stroker would be cool
A trail ported 686 cc with a 3 plughead............:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted a 3 plug head for my 660 lol this is my uncles quad how much does it cost to do the 3 plug head and do you do them willy? How much power do they make compared to the Stroker motors

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you go with a HR +4mm stroker
Let me know I know a place selling them for
$270 free shipping
I wish I could find a barkers +4 new for that's cheap cause is rather run barker then HR

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Assuming you already have the big three which really wakes up the Raptor then you're ready for internal parts and upgrades. When people say they want to ride trails and "keep it reliable" generally they do not work extensively on their own bikes and would like to ride the bike without pulling the head for a few years. Therefore, I recommend a 686 build with a stock stroke HR crank and rod, an 11:1 piston and put a good stage 2 cam in there with good springs and valves. You'll have all the power you need and the bike should run over 100 hours without inspecting the piston and jug. If you don't want the added cost of heavy dual springs, cam and valves you can run a stage 1 cam with the stock springs and valves.....I have a stage 1 cam I ran for about 3 months in great shape, if you're interested send a PM.
The 686 build would set you back the cost of the crank and rod $250
The new piston $175, bore and hone the jug $75, Gasket kit $75 and labor.
The head can go in many directions Cam, Springs and valves will set you back about $500.
Your stock springs with stock valves cleaned up and lapped in with fresh seals $125 and a stage 1 cam used $100 shipped.

Good luck,

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I wanted a 3 plug head for my 660 lol this is my uncles quad how much does it cost to do the 3 plug head and do you do them willy? How much power do they make compared to the Stroker motors
I have run 3 pluggers for years and I wouldnt run without it, even my Rhino is equipped with the 3 plug conversion. To say how much more power is made, I really dont look at it that way, I look at how fast the power comes on in the low rpm range and how much more is made in the higher rpm range, compared to a non 3 plugger. (overrev power)............:D:D
Banshee2Raptor has a 686cc with the 3 plugs and drives it in the trails, I personally saw this bike last April, and the throttle response is explosive, although I never drove it on the trails, if I can compare it to my one Raptor that still lacks the 3 plugs, it is dead compared to the 3 plugger in throttle reponse..............:)

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I have run 3 pluggers for years and I wouldnt run without it, even my Rhino is equipped with the 3 plug conversion. To say how much more power is made, I really dont look at it that way, I look at how fast the power comes on in the low rpm range and how much more is made in the higher rpm range, compared to a non 3 plugger. (overrev power)............:D:D
Banshee2Raptor has a 686cc with the 3 plugs and drives it in the trails, I personally saw this bike last April, and the throttle response is explosive, although I never drove it on the trails, if I can compare it to my one Raptor that still lacks the 3 plugs, it is dead compared to the 3 plugger in throttle reponse..............:)
Willy-You have a Raptor without a 3 plugger? h ave you lost your mind???

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
ay Mr. Mr 3 plugger (WILLY), Trivia of bthe week question. What is the flame front travel speed in MPH of a gasoline combustion chamber (head) after ignition with one plug?

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
ay Mr. Mr 3 plugger (WILLY), Trivia of bthe week question. What is the flame front travel speed in MPH of a gasoline combustion chamber (head) after ignition with one plug?
Wouldn't you need to provide a given RPM for proper calculation since the flame front would travel at a different rate of speed according to intake velocity and cylinder temperature. :rofl:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Wouldn't you need to provide a given RPM for proper calculation since the flame front would travel at a different rate of speed according to intake velocity and cylinder temperature. :rofl:
There is a lots to include when calculating flame front travel, including engine temperature, A/F ratio, compression ratio, rpm, etc............
If you look at a three pluggers piston, you have very little if any piston wash, that tells me more then enough..............:D

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
willy do you have a comparison picture to post?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
It was a trickquestion with no specifics. Normaly the anser is "about x". I did not want to gt to specific and confuse the newbes. However, since you want to have fun, lets try this- At an engine operating temp of 120 degrees; A/F = 13.5 /1; compression ratio of 11/1 static using hc 3 cam. I think you knw the specs for lift and duration of cam. . Outside temp is 79 degrees with relative humidity at 80 percent. Elevation is 1200 ft above sea level. Give a cylider temp of a engine at constant speed with minimal load.RPM is 2500.octane is 93. Bonus - how can u increase flame front travel?

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
It was a trickquestion with no specifics. Normaly the anser is "about x". I did not want to gt to specific and confuse the newbes. However, since you want to have fun, lets try this- At an engine operating temp of 120 degrees; A/F = 13.5 /1; compression ratio of 11/1 static using hc 3 cam. I think you knw the specs for lift and duration of cam. . Outside temp is 79 degrees with relative humidity at 80 percent. Elevation is 1200 ft above sea level. Give a cylider temp of a engine at constant speed with minimal load.RPM is 2500.octane is 93. Bonus - how can u increase flame front travel?
Well, I'm a microbiologist not an engineer so I tried to look up an equation for calculating flame front speed and all I found was flame fronts travel at about 40-50 cm/sec. As for the Bonus question, my biochemistry background tells me If I want to increase flame front or "burn time" then I should inject more Oxygen and something more combustible like Hydrogen into the equation :D
On a side note, while educating myself on flame front I came to the conclusion that a three plug head would need the spark timing retarded rather than advanced.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well, I'm a microbiologist not an engineer so I tried to look up an equation for calculating flame front speed and all I found was flame fronts travel at about 40-50 cm/sec. As for the Bonus question, my biochemistry background tells me If I want to increase flame front or "burn time" then I should inject more Oxygen and something more combustible like Hydrogen into the equation :D
On a side note, while educating myself on flame front I came to the conclusion that a three plug head would need the spark timing retarded rather than advanced.

Also of concern is the combustion chamber design of the raptor, it is very inefficient, and when you install high compression pistons, it makes it even more inefficient, add the two plugs makes the raptor head a fast burn combustion chamber.
Another thing to keep in the equation is turbulence, this also promotes the speed of the flame front.
Have you ever watched the flame front advance when you throw gas on a cement floor and light it, (this is dangerous so I advice you to be extremely cautious) the speed at which it travels can almost be measured in inches per second.
I am not an engineer so I shall refrain from answering the question posed to me, even if I was able to calculate the speed of the flame front, what would it prove to me...........

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Also of concern is the combustion chamber design of the raptor, it is very inefficient, and when you install high compression pistons, it makes it even more inefficient, add the two plugs makes the raptor head a fast burn combustion chamber.
Another thing to keep in the equation is turbulence, this also promotes the speed of the flame front.
Have you ever watched the flame front advance when you throw gas on a cement floor and light it, (this is dangerous so I advice you to be extremely cautious) the speed at which it travels can almost be measured in inches per second.
I am not an engineer so I shall refrain from answering the question posed to me, even if I was able to calculate the speed of the flame front, what would it prove to me...........
"even if I was able to calculate the speed of the flame front, what would it prove to me..........."
Well, since Quad Maniac is the Master of the Electron you would be the Master of Thermodynamics! :D

-and when you guys come down with a strep infection I'll be the Master of Clinical Microbiology. :D

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Adding oxygen is correct. This is what forced induction does. Think of that combustion chamber as a forge with a bellows a blacksmith would use. The more oxygen added, the more burn and heat ( not nessasaraly a good thig in a cylinder head) .When you run "lean", you are running more oxygen for the same amount of fuel. This is why you can reach a point where you can acctualy "tourch" the piston head. Your burn acctualy turns to a composition that is close to a oxyacedaline tourch. (sory about spelling) On high performance forced induction engines, water or alcohol injection is used to cool the charge. Retarding ignition on forced induction or 3 plug (more efficiant) engins backs off the burn to limit detination. This has more to do with exhaust gasses to build power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts