Raptor Forum banner

Best airbox setup for heavy water surroundings?

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Blownhotrodder 
#1 ·
i do alot of mudding, especially with winter here in washington. last ride, i pulled my airbox lid after washing it and had a puddle in the bottom. granted a little bit of it was from washing, but i want a better sealing system.

this has stopped me from purchasing an intake this far, especially with a k&n filter. had horrible experiences with them if any water gets on them (with cars). there are the two main aftermarket lids as everyone knows. ehs and pro-flow. im wondering which one offers the best protection for water?

the pro-flow has alot more flowing surface over the ehs, how well does the outerwear repel water though? ive never had one or felt it before. the ehs has a smaller surface, but the opening where water can go right in.

im also making a water resistant box where my tools and dobeck sit. so i'd like to do all of this at once. what do you guys think who use these lids? any other options even? i want a higher flowing lid since ill be adding an intake regardless.

#2 ·
man 281....if you are getting water and crap in there with the stock lid on, you are only going to escalate the problem with one of those lids.
However, with the intake thing, you can still run a prodesign setup with a foam filter. Sounds like in that kind of riding environment you need one.
I remember the days of riding in that mug bog ORV park it the capital forest.....it can be a little wet in there! haha...especially with this crazy november weather we have been having!

#4 ·
good god man! thats ridiculous! Yeah...our dirtbikes use to look a lot like that!

I would stick with a foamy and the stock lid for running threw crap like that. You could still go to a prodesign though....get a little more power. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Another option that I've considered is to use your stock lid, but cut a hole in the top and put some Outerwears material over it. Granted, you need to be kinda handy to make a frame or similar to hold the material on, but then you can make the opening as big or small as you like. I contacted Outwears and got a price on just the material, which you can get in different colors too if you care. However, I personally cannot comment on how truly water repellant the stuff really is. This I would like to know.

#6 ·
ChiknNutz said:
Another option that I've considered is to use your stock lid, but cut a hole in the top and put some Outerwears material over it. Granted, you need to be kinda handy to make a frame or similar to hold the material on, but then you can make the opening as big or small as you like. I contacted Outwears and got a price on just the material, which you can get in different colors too if you care. However, I personally cannot comment on how truly water repellant the stuff really is. This I would like to know.
well thats pretty much NO different than running the EHS or Protec lid. They repell water...but if you have a big glob of mud sitting on top of it for a while, the water will soak threw.
They will repell splashes and such....not "douches" ....haha :lol: :thumbsup:

#7 ·
I ride in a river bed and go through A LOT of water, I've sunk it twice. The stock lid does pretty good if you kill it and get it above waterline fast enough. I would stick with the stocker. If you want more airflow, but also be able to get wet, look into a deck plate mod. You can run it open in dry and close it when it gets a bit wet.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...subdeptNum=12945&storeNum=24&productId=266114

#8 ·
I suggest using a Pro Designs intake with the Uni type dual stage foam filter oiled like it's supposed to be. The larger filter flows more air with larger surface area. That means it will be less likely to suck water than the stocker.

Wrap the foam in Outerwears material. If you wash it just spray it LIGHTLY with silicone tent water repellant spray. You can get it at Wal-Mart. The Outerwears does repel splashed on water quite well. But it won't take a dunking.

Leave the lid on bit instal a Thunder Products TPI valve. You can shut it when the going gets really wet. Oil the foam prefilter in it as well. The oil repels water.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=2672&navTitle=Intake%2FFuel&webCatId=16&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=177&navType=type

#9 ·
BJH said:
I suggest using a Pro Designs intake with the Uni type dual stage foam filter oiled like it's supposed to be. The larger filter flows more air with larger surface area. That means it will be less likely to suck water than the stocker.

Wrap the foam in Outerwears material. If you wash it just spray it LIGHTLY with silicone tent water repellant spray. You can get it at Wal-Mart. The Outerwears does repel splashed on water quite well. But it won't take a dunking.

Leave the lid on bit instal a Thunder Products TPI valve. You can shut it when the going gets really wet. Oil the foam prefilter in it as well. The oil repels water.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=2672&navTitle=Intake%2FFuel&webCatId=16&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=177&navType=type
wow...never seen that!

#14 ·
not really alot of room to raise the intake under the seat i dont think.

part of the reason i think mine does worse in the water, is because i dont have the factory padding on the front fender. so my fender doesnt "seal" to the frame quite as good as factory. so water comes in from the sides, ill probably try to fix that and then i think ill be ok.

ill see how that affects my airbox after the next ride.

#15 ·
ChoChillin said:
I ride in a river bed and go through A LOT of water, I've sunk it twice. The stock lid does pretty good if you kill it and get it above waterline fast enough. I would stick with the stocker. If you want more airflow, but also be able to get wet, look into a deck plate mod. You can run it open in dry and close it when it gets a bit wet.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...subdeptNum=12945&storeNum=24&productId=266114
GREAT IDEA. I can't believe I didn't think of this one on my own. One of my other toys is my father's sail boat. Deck plates keep boats afloat - it and a bead of silicone around the stock lid should have no problem keeping water out of the airbox.

#17 ·
Damn how bout one of those snorkels off Jeeps. Thats muddin :thumbsup:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.