Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of buying batteries all the time and was wondering whats the best charger to charge multiple batteries. I have a Raptor 700, Suzuki Z400, Yamaha R6, and whatever else i pickup. I really want to just setup quick connects so when I'm done riding and everything I can just plug them in and have the cables drop from the ceiling in my garage. Can anyone recommend a charger/maintainer thing that I can leave on 24x7 and just plug it in to the bikes? also does leaving it on waste electricity? Do the quick connects actually work well? I want to just drill a hole and mount it so when done riding, i only need to plug it in and not need to open under the seat and stuff. I'm afraid that in mud and washing it will make the plug short the battery out or something. I'm just always busy after riding with cleaning and putting everything away, I don't want to forget plugging it in and have to buy another battery...

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Battery tenders are designed for gell cell batteries and I would suggest getting 4 of the cheaper ones. Then you can split'em up and take one or two with you when your going on a holiday weekend and still have a couple at home charging your other bikes if their not in use. You can find them cheaper on ebay too! Or amazon etc etc. just shop around but make sure you dont use a regular car charger cause they aren't designed for gell cell. Do some research (google) and you'll see why I'm not gonna write a book about it here haha!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found 3 battery tender jr's on ebay for $68, I'll just order these. I'm planning on wiring them up in the ceiling of my garage. Should I wire them to a switch so I can turn them on/off or is it okay to leave them charging for months straight at a time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Good question! I would prolly wire them to a switch but you could always just call the co. monday and ask!
And yeah I don't know why the 4 way one is so much more expensive it seems the single's combined should be more but whatever. I would rather have the singles myself JMO

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
Is the 4 bank for $165 on ebay better than 4 Jr's for $88? I see they're higher amp (.75 vs 1.25) but that doesn't really matter for ATVs since they want .6-.8. Even the 4 of the non Jr tenders are cheaper than the 4 bank. Its odd.
IMO The 4 bank deal is nicer just because you only have one unit to worry about and it comes with 4 quick disconnects. You can mount the unit in a central location and run the leads to whatever equipment you're charging.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just found 3 battery tender jr's on ebay for $68, I'll just order these. I'm planning on wiring them up in the ceiling of my garage. Should I wire them to a switch so I can turn them on/off or is it okay to leave them charging for months straight at a time.
That is the route I went years ago, got them on ebay cheap. I have gotten 5-6 years of life out of some of my batteries in the Boat and Jeep using these little BT JR's. I have outlets all around my shop so the individual ones worked fine for me and I just use one where I need it, on what needs it.

I have never left them plugged in without being connected to a battery so can't comment on that. I would say they are like most transformers and if plugged in will use some electricity even if no battery connected.

P.S. I think my olod Craftsman last lawn tractor I sold had a battery in it for 4-5 years. That is pretty good to me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I leave myself stuff in places to remind myself to do things. Like charger, I'll hang that over the door knob when I unhook it. CamelPak on seat so I don't forget cold water..

All depends on how often you go riding, cuz it'll take a good while to wire all that up to a switch on a wall verses the one minute that you spend to take off the seat hook up the charger and plug it in. I'm sure there are water proof plugs that you can get for quick connects either way you decide to go.
If you have a Harbor Frieght in your area, go on Ebay and search for coupons. You can pick up like 20 of them for $2 that are 20% off. I picked up that exact same charger up earlier today using that coupon and paid $8.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The Battery Tender Jr's come with a plug on the end so that you can use either the clip on ends or the ring lug ends, both are included.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts