Raptor Forum banner

Best beginner platform for dirt drags

7K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  White13 
#1 ·
So my local track is talking about running some dirt drags this year. I think for the most part to start with it is just going to be all the guys that are rodeoing their 450's will be dragging them just for fun so my Raptor setup for trails should be fine to get started. My big question is if they keep this around I will want to get more serious and get something more dedicated for drags and from you guys with dirt drag experience what would be the best beginner platform to start with (banshee, 660, 700) I have had all of the before mentioned and it sure seemed like my stroker banshee was the fastest of the bunch but it was also a pain in the ass to keep running right. I am not talking about stripping a bike down to only weighing 200lbs and its 12ft long and takes a mile to turn around, I am talking about something with basically stock front suspension, maybe like a +6 swingarm and something I can still blast around my subdivision on doing burnouts and take to the dunes occasionally for some fun. I figure 80% of these guys are going to be just good old boy racers with exhaust, cam, and some compression out to have a good time and I would just like to stay a little bit ahead of them.

#3 ·
I have a 2014 se raptor 700 and a 2014 se grizzly 700 so I have other bikes to ride, I just want something to add to the stable that is more of a straight line bike than a trail setup like I have now. I know it doesnt take a lot of money to make good power with a banshee but is a raptor better in every other aspect.

#5 · (Edited)
Are they having different classes for 450's /700's? Are the classes broke down by modifications? Personally, unless they have the drags very regularly, I would just do a big 3 or 5 setup to start, and buy a lowering kit. Try out different sprocket combos for whatever distances you're racing. Work on your suspension to get a good launch off the line and get as much weight transfer to the rear tire as possible without feeling like its pulling the front wheels too much. Get a good set of rear tires, Ohtsu 501's hook up good if you can still get them...... If the racing gets serious and you get into the motor a little more, then add a + swingarm.

I've seen things like this come and go over the years, you could wrap up a ton of $$ into it, and a couple years later attendance gets low, so the race organizers loose interest in doing them.. Been there before!
Good luck Bud!

#12 ·
I've seen things like this come and go over the years, you could wrap up a ton of $$ into it, and a couple years later attendance gets low, so the race organizers lose interest in doing them.. Been there before!
Good luck Bud!
^^^ I agree ^^^ Just race what you got. Or build what you want on a conservative budget that as said can be run elsewhere. Besides dirt , do you have access to asphalt or sand drags.

I have (for sale) a 250R that gives a 450 a run for its money. And there are lots of go fast parts out there for them.

#6 ·
turbo a 700

#7 ·
Yeah thats part of what I am afraid of it building a quad and then this all falls apart. The last time they did something like this they lumped the 450s together with the 700s. The 450s would jump off the line and then the well built raptors would pull past them. I have always wanted to build a good chassis quad with a banshee based motor in it so this may be the time. I think a 700 raptor frame with a cub or cheetah motor in it would be awesome and something I could still thrash around on if this all falls apart.

#8 ·
I had a 700 with a 14:1 piston, 5 mil crank, +2 TB, FCI, DMC pipes, +1 head, 5050 cam, PC3 and Dyna. It dynoed at only 71HP, Had Full LT Houser front with Custom Axis shocks, Skid plates and the Bling star sprocket and rotor guard, +4 axle, Flexx bars,Stablizer, Anti vibe stem, and that bike would outrun 90% of the bikes I ran against yet I could ride it everywhere and have a blast as the suspension was nice. My favorite bike to this day was that. I now am going with a more drag based bike just because thats all I do with it anyway but I wouldn't mind a bike like I had. For a all around Drag, Trail, Duner then the 700 is king. For a all out drag bike the Banshee has more options and are usually much faster though there is usually only a few real fast ones and lot that look fast but are slow an usually full of excuses of why it was SLOW! Thats wht I like about a 4 stroke is you start it up, pull up to the line and race over and over and it always runs close to the same.

#9 ·
you have a new quad with a fresh motor or atleast it should be.

by the time you buy all kinds of parts to build a fast quad I highly suggest looking into a turbo setup from D7 makes great power and is reliable and can ride anywhere.

I'm glad I switched over I could not be happier

#10 ·
I been thinking about getting a 250r and making it a full drag bike. Those things are fast as shit pretty much stock! With a few good mods I bet it would be a rocket!!!

#11 ·
I looked at those D7 turbo's, 90hp sounds like a lot of fun but I don't know. I know they say they are trail friendly but probably not the trails I ride, lots of mud and water and no good protection for that air filter and I would hate it if I couldn't get that exhaust out behind me. Also my Raptor now is only 6 months old and I have 2 more years of warranty left on it so I don't want to tear into it. I need to find a 250r to sit on, not sure my fat ass will work on that.

#13 ·
You don't have to tear into a motor at all with the turbo kit. Thats what makes them so nice. They are actually fast as hell on a bone stock motor. Langford has all kinds of videos of his bone stock motor with a D7 turbo kit on it and raced damn near every weekend and it just kept on going. LMS there trail rides his turbo bike. And when he says trail ride he means it lol.

#14 ·
A Raptor 700, lowering kit, stock arms,*brand new* outsu 501(stock 2001 400ex rear)tires, msd programmer, 15t front sprocket, 12.5:1 CP piston, stg 3 hot cam, my mild port head, duals and a K&N filter kit. That setup runs low 5's in dirt 300' consistently on more than 6 different bike's. That's more than plenty to beat you average weekend warriors and it will be just as reliable.

Brandon

#24 ·
I know it doesn't matter but I'm curious what horsepower that setup makes?

#17 ·
not sure why my pictures don't show up ?

we rode in the deep snow with zero issues as well.

not sure what you call lots of mud and water deep as in 2 ft? or just puddles?

either way I was just sharing my experience with my kit. I will probably never go back to to a NA bike

#18 ·
Ok I got confirmation today they are for sure doing the drags. So if you guys were building one would you do a 660 or 700. I am thinking a mild build. High compression, big cam, dual exhaust, +4 swinger or so.

#22 ·
I see where the bar would help so there would be no suspension drop in the rear bit what do the struts do other than reduce weight in the front.

#25 ·
As far as the classes are the classes are setup what normally is the difference between a 4stroke modified and an open class rig. Is there normally some big change that moves you up like stretched frame or something.

#26 ·
Best thing to do is look up the class rules for the organization your going to race with and then build your bike to fit those rules. Rather than build a bike and then try to figure out where it fits. Generally an open class is run what ya brung, no restrictions on Engine size or modifications to engine or chassis. Modified will usually have some sort of engine and or chassis restriction.

#27 ·
Yeah, I am waiting for them to get them posted. I have been back and forth with my buddy who owns the local shop all day on what platform to build. He is really trying to push me into a banshee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.