Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Going broke one quad upgrade at a time
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after getting my big 3 dyno tuned, it was suggested that I look into a Hot Cams Stage 3, the logic behind it makes sence, about 2HP gain at my peak of 52.61, then instead of it droping to 50 it would maintain 54 all the way thru from what used to be my peak.

Today I've been looking online and there are several options for Cams. Hot Cams stage 3 increases top end, but not bottom end.. Weisco increases bottom and middle.. so is there a cam out there that increases all? Let me know what you guys are running, and what it did for your gains, your power curve..

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. So I've found lots of Cams out there, Hotcams, HDD 50/50 cam, webcams, Barker, Dr. horsepower... Anyone have experience with any of these? I need to know which one is best for what? I want more HP across the whole band if possible. My quad is used for dune and trail, and I dont want to it to have to constantly be worked on! I'm also going to go to a +3TB at the same time.

Eventually it will get a piston and crank, but not right now.. That will come later down the road.. along with a port and polish.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
IMO, a HC2 would be your best bet right now. Good all-around gains and it's a drop-in cam. When you replace your piston and do porting later, then look into higher lift cams to take advantage of those upgrades.

·
Registered
555 Posts
^^^^ Agreed, excellent choice. ^^^^

·
Registered
415 Posts
+1 hc2 is good for stock head. hdd5050 is a good all around cam, but you need to clearance the rockers and stiffer valve springs, and wouldn't work as well as it should without a p&p or higher compression.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Best Cam? as much as i'm not fond of this Cam, i'd have to say Newton. Heisman winner, BCS champion, and $200,000 payoff..

EDIT: ouch. i just noticed after posting that you're from Oregon.. my apologies, i was going for the Ducks btw.

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best Cam? as much as i'm not fond of this Cam, i'd have to say Newton. Heisman winner, BCS champion, and $200,000 payoff..

EDIT: ouch. i just noticed after posting that you're from Oregon.. my apologies, i was going for the Ducks btw.
Ha Ha!!! It's all good.. I live in Oregon, but not from here, so I dont take it to personally. LOL. I was however going for Oregon to win it. Oh well, they still did great this year, never seen them take away so many wins in a season..

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive got a used one(rap 700 HC2) for sale right now too, works on stock springs, drop in....

$75 shipped

pm me
Let me do some more checking into HC2 vs HC3, I've got a lot of conflicting info right now. A couple of builders are recommending an HC3, even without a piston or head work. But a lot of people on here are saying otherwise. What kind of gain would I see with an HC2, at what RPM's?

·
Registered
65 Posts
not for sure on the numbers for gains but i just installed a hot cam 3 on my raptor with the big 3. it increased my top end greatly. i am really impressed with it. my brother and i would race and he would pull away from me when we got into 4th gear. now i pull away from him big time. i havent noticed any bottom end loss.

06 raptor 700r
gytr full exhaust
gytr intake
quad works power box
hot cam 3

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the hc3 and there was a little loss on the bottom end but the top end had way more pull. I then added a 11:1 piston and it made up for the minimal bottom end loss. I have no experience with the hc2 but people say that if you going to go with a hot cam skip the 2 and go for the 3.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I have the hc3 and there was a little loss on the bottom end but the top end had way more pull. I then added a 11:1 piston and it made up for the minimal bottom end loss. I have no experience with the hc2 but people say that if you going to go with a hot cam skip the 2 and go for the 3.
I absolutely agree. Dont waste time with the hc2. You are leaving 3 hp on the table at peak and more in the over rev otherwise. Hc3 is going to be a big difference up top. There is a small loss down low. Still have plenty of power though. Mid and top rock :)
If you are willing to loose alil down low to gain big up top hc3 is what you want. Then get a dynatek from dl and get the custom curve. He'll get a good portion of the bottom end back.
Other reason is you can ramp up further to a 6 mod plus high comp.with hc3 and make over 60hp. Hc2 is a big limiter in hp up top and you'll be in the 50's.
There are many of us running the hc3 with stock piston and with the mods in my sig has been a very potent combo for the money :)
Hc2 vs hc3 stock comp
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40961&page=3

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I absolutely agree. Dont waste time with the hc2. You are leaving 3 hp on the table at peak and more in the over rev otherwise. Hc3 is going to be a big difference up top. There is a small loss down low. Still have plenty of power though. Mid and top rock :)
If you are willing to loose alil down low to gain big up top hc3 is what you want. Then get a dynatek from dl and get the custom curve. He'll get a good portion of the bottom end back.
Other reason is you can ramp up further to a 6 mod plus high comp.with hc3 and make over 60hp. Hc2 is a big limiter in hp up top and you'll be in the 50's.
There are many of us running the hc3 with stock piston and with the mods in my sig has been a very potent combo for the money :)

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40961&page=3

Dynatek? are you talking an Ignition? I was wondering what that would do for me? What's the dif between MSD and Dynatek? Started thinking about getting one and if it would be worth it. But I have no idea how to program those or what they do. I have the big 3, now it's looking like in April I'll be going for an HC3, +3TB, and possibly a TQS piston.. They have one that is supposed to be good for pump gas still.. I run clear, but have no interest in getting into the 100 octane range.. To damn expensive!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Dynatek makes the programmable ignition..yes, sorry for not clarifying. Get it from dl when you do pick it up as he can program a custom curve.
I have the tqs 11.5.1 too...just not installed. Good piston to go with and yes the max for sure safe off pump gas. Its possible to get away with 12.1 at sea level but is REALLY pushin the limit for a half point. To questionable for me.
You get all those done so its a 6 modder high comp pump gas and thats about the most you can do till you step up to a bigger cam with porting.
Like i said in another hc2 vs hc3 post. Hc3 is not ideal with stock comp cause of longer duration but IMHO well worth the trade off for all that power up top :)

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's awesome.. I can't wait.. Hopefully it's enough horsepower to pull my quad all the way thru 5th with this 15 tooth sprocket.. If not it's back to a 14 I go, then down one in the rear. Where did you get your KDS TB and Evac Valve? I've been looking online and can't find a link to Kenny's site anywhere!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I think daniel at hdd does tb's. Might find a used one too from someone upgrading from a 47 to a 54.
Im not sure whos doing the evac valve anymore. I havent been around the boards in a long time :(

·
Super Moderator
17,060 Posts
DL and a few others can do the TB bore, the evac valves I've only seen at Racer's Edge.

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do I get ahold of DL? I see alot of people ref to him.. Is there a website?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts