Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Going broke one quad upgrade at a time
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 Raptor 700 at 53hp. I burned up the clutch this weekend and have been looking at kits. Right now I'm between a Hinson and an EBC kit. Anyone have experience or knowledge of either? End of year my rappy will get a 11.5:1 piston, +3 TB, port n polish
and cam. Need something that will hold up for all round duning and some racing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
local guy was pretty high on the DP clutches, I just put one in and haven't been able to ride it yet. Stockers come pretty highly recommended, just remove that spacer and half fiber and clip and replace that with a full fiber.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
HDD makes one now? Sure you're not talking about the DD? aka Direct Drive?

They're also about as pricey as 4-6 clutch packs, and at 53hp a lockup shouldn't be required equipment.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
HDD makes one now? Sure you're not talking about the DD? aka Direct Drive?

They're also about as pricey as 4-6 clutch packs, and at 53hp a lockup shouldn't be required equipment.
Sorry my mistake. I didn't mean to add the "H"
However he did ask what the best clutch kit was (For his 53HP raptor).
I myself would not get something that serious for a 53HP Raptor but it would last a long time :)
http://tqsatv.com/proddetail.php?prod=Raptordd

Link to the DD Lock out. ^^

·
Going broke one quad upgrade at a time
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Direct drive, as much as I want one, does not include a clutch. It is an ad on to your existing clutch. Quite a bit out of my budget for now as well. Maybe some day. For now I'm looking under $200.

The ebay link looks like it could be promising. Seems to know what he's talking about. Anyone else have experience with this.

I've also been told to get ahold of Hi Desert Dyno by a few people. I guess he has some heavy duty springs and a replacement full thickness friction plate for a stock clutch that is good. Daniel at Hi desert hooked me up with my Dynatek. Great customer service, fast shipping, great product. Immediate responses

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Oem will hold fine for your application, and IMO is the best out there. If you wanted to go a little overboard, add DL700 cluth mod, it is good up to 70 ish.

·
Registered
850 Posts
OEM all the way..
Contact Daniel at HDD, he will sell you a OEM fiber kit with upgraded springs. Will be good up to 70-75 HP. I have been running one for a couple years and it works great. The springs will stiffen the clutch pull though.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I have the Hinson kit with the pressure plate and inner hub. I love it on my 778
Big Bore Stroker.
I'm running the HDD kit in my 778 that's at 75hp 56tq on EHS dyno. I've rode it a few times third gear launches and no slippage as of yet my tb keeps falling off though.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
The Hinson and EBC clutches work great, but it's hard to beat the factory clutch. I know some people stand behind EBC while other behind Hinson , but i've always been a fan of the factory clutch if you need a clutch fast the Hinson and EBC clutches are in stock.

www.kbmotorsportsonline.com

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
We have been running that clutch setup (what people now call the HDD) on YFZ's since 2004. Also with the same 30% springs that we introduced to Daniel about a year ago. Its a badass setup for the price. We take the 8 YZ450F fibers out of a 2008 (used to take them out of a 2004 but yamaha upgraded them in the newer model) and pair it with a set of springs sold by Ron Woods. They are a true 30% stronger spring unlike many other companies claims. Daniel actually did some testing of one companies 30% springs and they ended up being softer than OEM.

The stock clutch setup has 7 full fibers and one half fiber plus 2 spacer rings. We remove all of that and replace it with 8 full fibers for extra holding power. This is another downfall of buying aftermarket such as EBC or Hinson. Your going to get 7 full fibers and 1 half. This is why we recommend KG Factory for aftermarket setups if you must purchase aftermarket. In this kit you will get 8 full fibers, steel plates, and springs that are stiffer than stock.

For the OEM setup Fibers are $8 a piece and the springs are $39. For a total of $103.

KG factory kits are $145. Which is a great deal if you need to replace the steel plates as well.

Dont forget to soak your new clutch setup in oil. On numerous occasions I have had customers call me after they installed their new clutch wondering why its already shredded into pieces after a short right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts