Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the best octane would be to run for my set up I have down below? Also have a bigger tb

·
LOOK UP IN THE SKY ITS A BIRD, A PLANE, THAT'S THE
547 Posts
+ 1 on 93 octane .i run this in quad and street bike .imo 93 octane is the best to run.:D

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Depends how much you wanna spend to go faster.... VP Mrx01 is a couple more ponies over leaded 110, but it's about $24 a gallon...

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fill the tank 1/8 way (.3 gal) with 93, run it listen for detonation. When you hear it, which you almost certainly will add .3 gal 110 octane. Ride it hard UNTIL you hear it detonate. If it did detonate add another .3 gal 110. Continue until you get your 'dilution'. If your even sorta good with math you can determine what octane you need to resist detonation in the future. get it?

·
Registered
366 Posts
There is a lot of factors here. What elevation you ride at, how much overlap your cam has, how much material was removed from the combustion chamber when it was ported, whether or not the piston is corrected deck height, thickness of your head and base gasket, etc. all play a role in what octane you need to run in your bike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Agreed, 93 is not gonna work especially when he is hot or on it. Unless he's rich just dumping $24 bucks / gallon for 110 just because it is the safe bet is teh sux. If he finds the real octane needed, then he can mix ;)

1 part 93 (@ $3.99) + 1 part 110 (@ $24.00) = 101.5 octane (@ $14) => $40 per tank vs $70... werd!

Any bets on 100?

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is a lot of factors here. What elevation you ride at, how much overlap your cam has, how much material was removed from the combustion chamber when it was ported, whether or not the piston is corrected deck height, thickness of your head and base gasket, etc. all play a role in what octane you need to run in your bike.
BTW, he says hes 13:1 if he knows that he is 13:1 then he already factored in all the (combustion chamber volume with piston at BDC vs TDC) stuff you just mentioned, i.e. compression ratio.

Bottom line is unless someone on this form has a similar setup and can chime in your gonna have to test it to find out...

Detonation (pinging) is BAD!!!!, but a little bit during testing isn't gonna fry your engine. Take her easy and let off as soon as u hear it!

·
LOOK UP IN THE SKY ITS A BIRD, A PLANE, THAT'S THE
547 Posts
This guy can't run 93 in his bike. He's over 13:1 compression. I would run 110 or something close.
ya sorry 13.1 deff need at the least 110 for the best performance :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
i wanna know who has to pay 24 bucks for 110? screw that...i quit running it but 110 was 6 bucks give or take.

·
Registered
366 Posts
BTW, he says hes 13:1 if he knows that he is 13:1 then he already factored in all the (combustion chamber volume with piston at BDC vs TDC) stuff you just mentioned, i.e. compression ratio.

Bottom line is unless someone on this form has a similar setup and can chime in your gonna have to test it to find out...

Detonation (pinging) is BAD!!!!, but a little bit during testing isn't gonna fry your engine. Take her easy and let off as soon as u hear it!
Im the one that said he was at 13:1. He's got a 12.5:1 and a 5mil stroker. Should put him at around 13.25:1 NOT considering any other factors. I agree he should try to find the lowest octane that works but he will more than likely be above 100 octane. And vp110 is 8 bucks near me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah sorry I haven't commented back on here for a while. no way I can run 93 i knew I had to be in 100 but wasnt quite sure exactly an I can get a good deal on vp through a dealer of mine but yea im at 13:1 I just have been so busy after I got my quad put together that I haven't had time to mess around with it as much as if like to but I am takin it to idaho to get it tuned up but just wanted to know if anyone had my similar setup an could give me a close guess an I have a pale of 110 I was gonna try, my elevation is bout 1400 an when I'm in idaho I think its what like 3000? Around that at least. I'm goin insane I have not got a chance to ride it yet!!! gettin some barkers here soon too... But thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
235 Posts
it would have to give a WHOLE lot of power to justify 24 bucks a gallon.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
it would have to give a WHOLE lot of power to justify 24 bucks a gallon.
It is, 6% more power. But like I said, it's for the performance oriented group. If you use 5 gallons a week riding your quad, obviously it isn't justifiable. Alot of us after 10k+ into performance products into our quads, this isn't for a typical 3 modder..,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts