Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting a 700 in the next few months and I'm going to need a good set of paddles. I don't drag race, I mostly do a lot of hillshooting, but also a lot of just general dune riding. I ride oregon dunes when the sand is wet, and I'm around 140lbs. I'm going to be getting a stock bike and most likely will never get any mods. There are 3 sizes I had in mind. 22x11-8, 20x11-10, and 21x12-8. Haulers or extremes? How many paddles? What is the biggest tire that will fit with the stock swing arm and not hit the stock heal guards? What do you run and how do you like it?

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I would do 21-12-8 8 extreme. The 22” carcssses are pretty big, not much clearance on a stock swingarm. Definitely want an 8” wheel.

·
Super Moderator
8,858 Posts
Depth of lugs for hill shooting. I run the extremes and absolutely love them for steep chutes. Plus thicker base where it attaches to the surface.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depth of lugs for hill shooting. I run the extremes and absolutely love them for steep chutes. Plus thicker base where it attaches to the surface.
So you think they are definantly worth it? Cause they are kinda expensive vs haulers. And I thought haulers and extremes were the same height

·
Super Moderator
8,858 Posts
You are correct, they are the same height. Just a thicker base for higher horsepower machines. If you look at skat trac USA, their website, the haulers are more for the 250 and 350 sized machines.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are correct, they are the same height. Just a thicker base for higher horsepower machines. If you look at skat trac USA, their website, the haulers are more for the 250 and 350 sized machines.
Ok, I was just wondering cause I have haulers on my 400ex and they get driven on the pavement and gravel and and trails that are more dirt then sand, and up lots of treeshots hitting big roots, and you can still see where the little hairs used to be attached to the end of the paddle, the haulers seem plenty tough enough to me, but I guess I didn't think about more horsepower effecting that

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
There’s also an effective traction difference between haulers and extremes. You get more traction out of an extreme than a hauler, at the expense of some weight. On a stock machine with a moderate paddle count, the paddle weight isn’t a concern as it’s not going to drag down the top end since stockish raptors don’t rev real high.
I would also suggest getting a bead to bead buff on the tire. It will help give a little extra floatation without being so thin you have to worry about tree roots and stones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There’s also an effective traction difference between haulers and extremes. You get more traction out of an extreme than a hauler, at the expense of some weight. On a stock machine with a moderate paddle count, the paddle weight isn’t a concern as it’s not going to drag down the top end since stockish raptors don’t rev real high.
I would also suggest getting a bead to bead buff on the tire. It will help give a little extra floatation without being so thin you have to worry about tree roots and stones.
Alright, maybe I'll call tomorrow and get some prices

·
Super Moderator
8,858 Posts
Maybe get a machine first, then just keep an eye out in the local CL or FB marketplace for some paddles.

·
Super Moderator
8,858 Posts
I snagged a set of dual ribbed fronts on rims a couple years ago for $100. Guy was just wanting to spend more time on his boat than sand, only used maybe once or twice. Some people have money and don't care about a loss so long as someone else can get good use out of them. Just keep your eyes peeled and be ready to jump on a good deal is all.

Reactions: Chuckandlarry

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I snagged a set of dual ribbed fronts on rims a couple years ago for $100. Guy was just wanting to spend more time on his boat than sand, only used maybe once or twice. Some people have money and don't care about a loss so long as someone else can get good use out of them. Just keep your eyes peeled and be ready to jump on a good deal is all.
Thats a real good idea, I can't believe I didn't think of this

·
Registered
19 Posts
I run the 20x11x10 8 paddle haulers and I really like them. Wish I would ha e gone with an 8” wheel tho. Next time it will be 21x12x8. Haven’t had any problems with the haulers hooking up tho. It’s a big 3 only

1 - 16 of 16 Posts