Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to use this thread to document the build process for a pro level desert racing Raptor 700 with KMS's help. I have already done a write up on the custom 5+ gallon fuel tank that anyone can now buy in this thread:
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87086

Pro teams are pretty secretative about their combos, hp, top speed etc but I figure screw it, lets share info. I'll be out there racing regardless of what other people know or don't know. :)

The continuation of the build will be on KMS's facebook page here, you can "like" the page to get the updates.
http://www.facebook.com/kmsperformance

I was asked to join this desert racing team in 2009, when I joined we were starting off with a decent Raptor 700 that was owned by the team sponsor and raced at the 40+ B and C level. The team consisted of the quad owner/sponsor who was 40+ B, an expert/ex pro level rider, and myself. The 2008 Raptor 700 already had a desert seat, bumpers, skids and LSR +2 arms, +4 axle and PEP shocks. But it needed some work to be competitive in the BITD Expert division so I got to work by switching over to IMS nerfs, pegs and heel guards. The setup that was on there was too low to the ground and it scraped when flying over the whoops at my speed. I also added a +3 LSR stem and taller Flexx bars from Fasstco the stock bars are too low for me and they make fuel stops really hard.

We left the stock engine alone, it had a programmer and filter that is about it. We got 2nd in the first race, the Parker 250. At the next race (Silver State 300) the stock engine seized up while we were in the lead by 12 minutes. We rebuilt the engine in an attempt to be reliable and give more power. We went with a low compression 737cc with x4 cam and headwork. It only made 58rwhp though but it was enough to win the 2010 Vegas to Reno Expert class even though it wasn't pulling 5th gear very well during the race. We ended that season 2nd in the points after getting 2 flats on the final race and finishing poorly.

For 2011 we decided to try and build a custom fuel tank because our 2.9 gallon tank was killing us on mileage and slow fuel stops due to lack of a dry break system. We also ran out of fuel twice at vegas to reno and hard to resort to using the emergency fuel we had on board. So we had a custom 5.25 gallon fuel tank made with dry break, it is all explained in that other thread. It gave us a better range but we had fuel filter problems that was giving us issues.

Towards the end of 2011 we teamed up with KMS and Kelly whipped up a nice engine that he considers mild for the Henderson 250. It is still a low comp 737 but it has Kelly's magic done to the head, cam and tune. We also ditched the big custom single exhaust we had in favor of some DMC duals. We ended up with 71 rwhp and 52rwtq but not enough time to test. So we used the stock tank and ran out of fuel after only 44 miles, 1 mile from the pit. :(
Horsepower isn't an issue though, this race has a long asphalt section and according to my GPS we hit 101mph!! That is 14mph faster than our previous best and a good 8mph faster than any other quad I have heard of in desert racing.

For 2012 we are partnering up with KMS for the full pro season of Best in the Desert and Kelly will be providing an even better engine. He wants to prove that his 108mm builds can make big power and survive in the worst conditions. So far I am impressed, I have never seen another 70+ rwhp quad survive a desert race, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened but I just haven't heard of it.

We already ditched the aluminum mid frame and KMS had it redone with chrome moly tubing, it is much beefier and it shouldn't crack every race like the aluminum did. We need to strengthen the front section of frame too, it has cracked before where the shocks mount.

I will be wrapping the quad in my signature orange motiff and the shocks are on their way to PEP for revalve/respring because this thing is heavy. Assuming 5 gallons of fuel it comes in at 556 pounds without rider and 771 with rider all geared up!!

If the basic long travel suspension isn't sufficient we will be getting crazy and moving the suspension mounting points around and going with "stupid" long travel shocks and probably a no link rear swing arm.

So far this week we have been working on the following, it is tiring! Order new chain slider, build chain roller to keep chain on, order radiator shield, new seat cover, corner weight quad, remove shocks, build struts to hold up quad while shocks are gone, do speed runs to check gearing, teardown engine, work on fuel tank and new fuel system, order new a-arm to replace bent one, order new handguards, try to find graphics sponsor, order new chain and sprockets. Sleep.

I have more background and photos on my website www.kendallrace.com
We are hoping to race the 2012 Baja 500 on this thing too, just need to save up some more money or get some cash sponsors to pay for hotels and diesel! :)

First race is coming up fast, Jan 7th in Parker for the 250. Not sure if the big boy engine will be ready for that one.
The continuation of the build will be on KMS's facebook page here, you can "like" the page to get the updates.
http://www.facebook.com/kmsperformance

The quad prior to the 2010 Vegas to Reno.

With custom fuel tank

Henderson GPS

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Great thread.

I went with Fox EVOL shocks for the front end to keep the weight down, but I'd prefer a nice set of PEPs valved by Wayne. Excellent choice your team made IMO.

I've not met Kelly personally, but he's built some very stout quads. Especially LTR's. His shop's not far from Kenz and maybe those two can share a bit of information, if they haven't already.

I like the way the 450's handle and prefer them over the 700 these days. A guy from Michigan stuffed a 700 motor into a yfzR chassis recently. Something like that seems very intriguing to me but the fuel cell is stuffed under the seat.

The direction you're going with the Raptor is great and I look forward to more info. I want to make a couple changes to mine but otherwise I can run it. The build was finished over 1½ years ago but life has taken another direction for me recently.

·
VIP
300 Posts
Great thread.

I've not met Kelly personally, but he's built some very stout quads. Especially LTR's. His shop's not far from Kenz and maybe those two can share a bit of information, if they haven't already.

I like the way the 450's handle and prefer them over the 700 these days. A guy from Michigan stuffed a 700 motor into a yfzR chassis recently. Something like that seems very intriguing to me but the fuel cell is stuffed under the seat.
Kelly does a great job on things. We made the tank under the seat on the yfz700r to make it look like a stock 450r. The tank we built holds 3 gallons but a tank could be made to go in the stock location that would be oversize if needed.
Keep the great thread going.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, Kelly does some huge hp Raptors in addition to the LTR's, check his facebook page for a sampling of the insane stuff he has done in the past few months: 160rwhp 700R, turbo CRF450R with 80rwhp that is setup with snowtracks and a ski! Turbo polaris XP with 130rwhp and he has a few 80-105rwhp n/a raptors in there now, one is a 900 something, crazy.

My co-rider for 2011 just finished up modifying the tank, now Kelly is going to switch us over to an inline pump and filter setup, should solve our fueling issues. The tank still holds about 5.2 gallons. The shocks are shipped off to PEP, the quad is rolling around on solid metal struts (just pieces of metal stock), it rides a little stiff, LMAO. I hope the shocks get back to us in time for some testing prior to Jan 7's race!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Excellence. Good stuff here.

Tim, if you had put a fuel cell in the stock location on the Hefe's yfz700r, how extensive do you think that modification would be? Do you think you's have to modify the frame?

Trent, if it's any consolation I had Kevin @ ReconMX in Boulder City NV do a custom build on the Fox Podium DSC shock on my Raptor. The turn-around time was a week, because he had to wait on springs and crossovers from Fox. Re-valved, re-sprung, and a longer line for the reservoir so I could route it differently. Kevin races Pro in SCORE on dirtbikes, he fills in often for riders on the Pro Honda teams. He seems to understand set-up and valving really well.

That aside, I had Wayne build me a PEP shocks for my LTR450 that I ran the WORCS series with, and those shocks were spot-on. He used to take forever (worth it) but I've heard he's gotten better at turn-around.

Kelly isn't well known for Raptor builds, but he knows his way around a motor and he can build an impressive competitor and is well known for that. You can't go wrong having him on your team. Vader's KMS built FSA LTR450 was extremely impressive, class champion. There's quite a few reputable builders in AZ: KMS, KCT, RE, Demon Industries, OI.. I wish I could say that about Vegas. The only trusted builder/tuner here locally is PE.

I hope I get the opportunity to see you run.

·
VIP
300 Posts
Excellence. Good stuff here.

Tim, if you had put a fuel cell in the stock location on the Hefe's yfz700r, how extensive do you think that modification would be? Do you think you's have to modify the frame?

Trent, if it's any consolation I had Kevin @ ReconMX in Boulder City NV do a custom build on the Fox Podium DSC shock on my Raptor. The turn-around time was a week, because he had to wait on springs and crossovers from Fox. Re-valved, re-sprung, and a longer line for the reservoir so I could route it differently. Kevin races Pro in SCORE on dirtbikes, he fills in often for riders on the Pro Honda teams. He seems to understand set-up and valving really well.

That aside, I had Wayne build me a PEP shocks for my LTR450 that I ran the WORCS series with, and those shocks were spot-on. He used to take forever (worth it) but I've heard he's gotten better at turn-around.

Kelly isn't well known for Raptor builds, but he knows his way around a motor and he can build an impressive competitor and is well known for that. You can't go wrong having him on your team. Vader's KMS built FSA LTR450 was extremely impressive, class champion. There's quite a few reputable builders in AZ: KMS, KCT, RE, Demon Industries, OI.. I wish I could say that about Vegas. The only trusted builder/tuner here locally is PE.

I hope I get the opportunity to see you run.
we just had to trim the frame and cut out some bracketry that holds the stock tank to make TB fit in place. By putting the tank between the frame rails where the airbox was it lowered the center of gravity and offset the weight of the engine. The quad still flies straight in the air. Just message me and i can try to answer any questions on it. Hefe will also answer them for sure.
Sorry about the hijack

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We drew 2nd start position for pro quads for next weeks Parker 250. Shocks are coming back from PEP today, overnight shipping is expensive!

Testing everything this weekend.

We will post live race updates this year for the BITD races to our twitter account @kendallracing Sign up for twitter then follow us and you can choose to have the updates texted to you. Technology is cool.

Trent

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Testing went pretty good. The suspension is dialed thanks to Wayne at PEP. I can't believe a quad that weighs this much (556 with fuel, 771 with rider) can handle this good and be this fast thanks to KMS.

The big aluminum fuel cell with external fuel system has been working great. We topped out at 97mph on asphalt with 14/38 gearing. My co-rider wrecked it into a tree which bent the radiator and broke the cheesy pro armor radiator guard I can't believe it is made out of fake aluminum plastic stuff. Thankfully nothing else was broken including his hand, it swelled up huge but x-rays were negative. Can't wait for this weekend!

Trent

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Is your co-rider going to make the race still?

Wayne is the God of Suspension, no debate. I'm still wishing I went that route with this bike instead of trying to save weight with the EVOLs.

Is 14/38 going to be your race gearing? I'm running 15/37. I bounce off the limiter real fast in 1st and 2nd but I can't hit the limiter at all in 4th or 5th. It's the best medium I can find with this motor.

Can you post some pics of the bike in race trim?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wayne did a great job but it wasn't cheap. :) I have also had great luck with Jim at Motowoz on my Honda. But this Raptor came with PEP's so I stuck with them.

We will be using 14/38's with 22" tires and we will test again once the big motor is done. It hits the limiter in 4th at 82mph on my GPS, then in 5th it hit 97mph and not quite the limiter.

I will post a pic once we get the hiper profills installed so we can put the hiper race wheels on and get the graphics installed. It is a very busy week. Profills arrive tomorrow, graphics got here yesterday.

My co rider will be racing, he is tough and the x rays showed no breakage luckily.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Wayne did a great job but it wasn't cheap. :) I have also had great luck with Jim at Motowoz on my Honda. But this Raptor came with PEP's so I stuck with them.

We will be using 14/38's with 22" tires and we will test again once the big motor is done. It hits the limiter in 4th at 82mph on my GPS, then in 5th it hit 97mph and not quite the limiter.

I will post a pic once we get the hiper profills installed so we can put the hiper race wheels on and get the graphics installed. It is a very busy week. Profills arrive tomorrow, graphics got here yesterday.

My co rider will be racing, he is tough and the x rays showed no breakage luckily.
Good stuff TK. Good luck out there this weekend, rubber side down!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like a gasket failed, engine lost oil and broke at mile 43. We were in the lead pack of quads, top 3 were all eating each others dust. It really sucks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We got the 3rd start position for vegas to reno in 3 weeks. The factory Yamaha team of Josh Row drew the #1 position. There are 7 pro teams so far and I know of 3 more who will be signing up, pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.