Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get my first Jet Kit. Just wondering which you guys think is the best, most complete, best priced, kit.

Also which Jets, pilots, ect would you use for the following:
01 Rappy 660
Yoshi slip on exhaust
stock header
aluminum air box, no lid
K&N style GYTR air filter
83815 zip which says its 2228ft above sea level

also how many turns out for the fuel screw?

Thanks for your help folks. Happy riding! 8)

·
Registered
106 Posts
me personally, I would go with the Vito's jet kit. That's what I got, and I was impressed with it. As for jetting for you've got, pilots I would go 25's with a/f screws starting at 2.5 turns out. As for mains, I would try 150/155 to see how it works.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Looking to get my first Jet Kit. Just wondering which you guys think is the best, most complete, best priced, kit.

Also which Jets, pilots, ect would you use for the following:
01 Rappy 660
Yoshi slip on exhaust
stock header
aluminum air box, no lid
K&N style GYTR air filter
83815 zip which says its 2228ft above sea level

also how many turns out for the fuel screw?

Thanks for your help folks. Happy riding! 8)
#25 pilots..........
Aftrermarket needles 1/2 way up............
160 ---165 mains mikuni style............

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got the Vito's kit and am happy with it. I haven't any experience with any other kits so cannot give you a comparison. It is much easier to adjust the mixture screws with the Vito's kit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got the Vito's kit and am happy with it. I haven't any experience with any other kits so cannot give you a comparison. It is much easier to adjust the mixture screws with the Vito's kit.
sweet. that was the kit i was looking at anyways. Plus $50 is pretty good price.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I've deceided to take off the K&N style filter and get a foam one as directed by the local dealer cause I dont ride at the dunes but more so woodsey / gravely type terrain. So with that and the other Mods what would you guys suggest for pilot /Jet / a/f screw be at?

So here will be the mods.
01 Rappy 660
Yoshi slip on exhaust
stock header
aluminum air box, no lid
Foam style air filter
2228ft above sea level (83815)

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Vitos and get the little knob air/fuel screws and you will thank later

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So I've deceided to take off the K&N style filter and get a foam one as directed by the local dealer cause I dont ride at the dunes but more so woodsey / gravely type terrain. So with that and the other Mods what would you guys suggest for pilot /Jet / a/f screw be at?

So here will be the mods.
01 Rappy 660
Yoshi slip on exhaust
stock header
aluminum air box, no lid
Foam style air filter
2228ft above sea level (83815)

Thanks folks.
The same as the K&N you were using..............

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts

And..... I'm guessing that the dealer was going to SELL you the new, foam filter, right? His advice was just to make a profit. The K&N, when properly maintained, is about the best filter there is.

Regardless, the jetting will be the same - 155 or 160 left, 160 or 165 right Mikuni mains (becasuse of the elevation), 25 pilots, aftermarket needles near center, screws at 2 turns - to start - you will have to tweak from there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
And..... I'm guessing that the dealer was going to SELL you the new, foam filter, right? His advice was just to make a profit. The K&N, when properly maintained, is about the best filter there is.

Regardless, the jetting will be the same - 155 or 160 left, 160 or 165 right Mikuni mains (becasuse of the elevation), 25 pilots, aftermarket needles near center, screws at 2 turns - to start - you will have to tweak from there.
The way he explained it was the K&N are the best filter for dune riding but the foam is better protection for our area's type of terrain. If that's not the case then I'll leave my K&N on there. Save me $30. =P

So this Kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...48&item=120660862692&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

was the one i went with. Should have everything I need correct?
Also how to I get the new a/f screws in? Just unscrew the old ones and screw these ones in? Or is there a trick to it, cause i don't want to hurt or mess up my carb.

Sorry for the dumb questions I know NOTHING about jetting. I get why, just not how to, yet. But I'm learning thanks to you folks.. :beer:

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Check the 660 stickies in maintenence and that will really help you with your jetting the first couple of times. People make it sound a lot harder than it is sometimes, and while trying to tune 2 carbs properly can be a bit of a pain in the ass, it's really not that bad. You'll have it down after a couple times, and realize the most annoying part is taking off the plastics and gas tank, etc...

Yeah, that kit will have everything you'll need for getting your carbs setup right.

I agree that you'll be just fine rocking the K&N filter. Like said above, regular proper maintenence is the key (regardless of which filter you use). I always use a K&N filter, regardless of terrain. Mostly I dune these days, but I always ran one in the dirt as well. The only place I can see a foam filter really having an advantage would be in seriously dusty conditions. And at that point, I'd probably just put a foam filter wrap on over the K&N if anything.

Oh... DO GET an Outerwear for the filter though, helps with the real fine particles and water splashes as well. Should be around $8-12

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Check the 660 stickies in maintenence and that will really help you with your jetting the first couple of times. People make it sound a lot harder than it is sometimes, and while trying to tune 2 carbs properly can be a bit of a pain in the ass, it's really not that bad. You'll have it down after a couple times, and realize the most annoying part is taking off the plastics and gas tank, etc...

Yeah, that kit will have everything you'll need for getting your carbs setup right.

I agree that you'll be just fine rocking the K&N filter. Like said above, regular proper maintenence is the key (regardless of which filter you use). I always use a K&N filter, regardless of terrain. Mostly I dune these days, but I always ran one in the dirt as well. The only place I can see a foam filter really having an advantage would be in seriously dusty conditions. And at that point, I'd probably just put a foam filter wrap on over the K&N if anything.

Oh... DO GET an Outerwear for the filter though, helps with the real fine particles and water splashes as well. Should be around $8-12
Awesome info! Thank you so much. It actually came with the bag cover thing, I just wasn't sure if it was for storage or what. Lol. So ill be sure to put that on cause here Idaho its pretty dusty and or wet.. As far as the A/F screw that comes with that kit, how do I remove the old A/F screws? Just screw them all the way out and install the new ones? or is there something specific I need to do? Thanks again for the info folks.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Never installed any of those, but I assume you just back out the OEM screws and replace them with the knobs like you said. I'm sure someone will chime in that's done it before though.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Never installed any of those, but I assume you just back out the OEM screws and replace them with the knobs like you said. I'm sure someone will chime in that's done it before though.
Yep, I just set mine at 2.5 each and everything ran great once I got the jets sized right.

03 673
Stock Compression/Cam/Head
Full Alba Exhaust
Open K&N w/Outerwear
1800 ft

165/160
25.5 Pilots
Stock Needle 4th Clip

05 673
12-1 Compression/Stage 2 Cam/ StockHead
Full Ti Akrapovic Exhaust
Open K&N w/Outerwear
1800 ft

170/165
25.5 Pilots
Stock Needle 4th Clip

·
Registered
298 Posts
+1 for the Vito's jet kit...It's worth it for the fuel screws alone plus you get the #25 pilots.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts