Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
keep in mind i ride trails all yr except 2 trips a yr to dunes,1 to coos bay other to st.anthony.
i ride 2 strokes at dunes mainly but ive gone to 4 stroke i wont go back to 2 lol
except my zilla,i have stock motor ,k&n filter jet kit and fmf pipe.
What is a good couple or mods (cheap) to do for sand motor wise?

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
paddle tires are all you need for sand honestly. don't really need to beef up a motor exclusively for duning.

·
Registered
323 Posts
a 6blade hauler is perfect for what you have now'' i run them on my bike and what a big difference on top end speed up the hill'':)

·
Registered
622 Posts
-1 up front

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Yeah, a mild set of paddles and some different size sprockets to experiment with.
For paddles I would recommend ITP Sand Stars. They will work great on a fairly stock power bike and are cheaper and more durable than SkatTraks. If you can afford to get some fronts too it helps reduce drag and they steer better than knobbies.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the heads up!
i found the stock 13 tooth front sprocket was to high for my style but will put it back on for dunes,and no draging for me i like to play to much.
I know there is a huge preferance for haulers but are they really worth the extra $ ?
and besides turnability arnt the itps better bang for the buck?
also because of the raptor prob of a light front end will i have a problem keeping the front end down enough to turn with haulers?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
ive only ran haulers so thats my preference. few of my friends have itp and have a harder time climbing stuff. how much are you looking to spend?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I know there is a huge preferance for haulers but are they really worth the extra $ ?
and besides turnability arnt the itps better bang for the buck?
Ive had both. ITP's are a hole digging headache. Haulers or gliders are going to be the best choice no matter what, in my eyes they are 110% worth a little extra money.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
seems to be even on tire choice
i dont mind spending a little extra on tires cause they will be the only ones i get but for the difference in price i could almost get a new stage 2 cam

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Look at 8 paddle Haulers. I have ran both and will not go back to sand star.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ive rode at silver lk/st anthony/little sahara ut. I have used both sand stars and haulers.For the soft sand you need the haulers to stay on top.The sand stars work well for a wet sand.JMO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive had both. ITP's are a hole digging headache. Haulers or gliders are going to be the best choice no matter what, in my eyes they are 110% worth a little extra money.
+1 - Whether you wanna play or race Haulers are the best. I did the same thing and tried to save a buck but finally stepped up and got the Haulers (8 padddle) and will never look back. Should of spent the extra bucks ALOT sooner.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Itp will slow u dwn just saying

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Itp will slow u dwn just saying
Instead of dropping a one line comment and an immediate disassociation from responsibility to it I would urge you to contribute a well thought out opinion to the thread and the member in need of advice.

Sandstars will not be as fast as a proper set of skat haulers in a straight line because the sandstars are heavier and they do not bite as hard or as efficiently as a hauler. Sandstars offer fewer choices in paddle type/design/sizing/etc while a hauler can be customized to your every need. The price you pay for the sizing options, weight savings, and better hookup is the price, Skat Haulers will cost more than a set of sandstars and the more you deviate from the most common sizes and types of skat trak tires the more costly it becomes.

Floatation of 20x11-10 skat hauler and a 20x11-10 sandstar will be pretty similar, so when saying that haulers float better it should be noted that this is mostly because people are pairing tall tires with small rims to achieve taller sidewalls. Something like a 22" tall tire on an 8" rim. These taller sidewalls allow for more deflection of the tire increasing the contact patch and distributing the atvs weight over a larger area. This decreases the force on any given point of the tire where it meets the sand and therefore it floats on top better. The increased traction provided by the more efficient scoops and the larger contact patch make starting off from a dead stop easier and less likely for the rear tires to simply dig into the earth and leave you motionless.

If you're willing to spend the money and you intend on climbing steep hills or any drag racing against friends and don't have to dodge sharp stones and sticks in the riding area then I would suggest the Skat Trak Haulers or Extreme Haulers. 22" tall 6 paddles will be ok for high altitudes and very long climbs. 7 paddles might be a consideration as well especially for 21" tires. Whichever you do stick with the 8" rims to improve floatation.

I would probably throw a 12 tooth sprocket on the front if you end up with 21 or 22" rear tires. Other than that any modifications you make to improve performance will benefit you in any terrain, not just the sand.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well srry crabby pants lol but I only know that itp are slower but I do not know the reasoning for it so that's y the one line comment was dropped

But to me it seems like if u
Go with a 12 up front and a stage 1 cam and go to Craigslist find some cheapy itps cause you can get a good deal on them
Youll love the set up
It's something cheap and won't hurt ur wallet

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The unsupported declarative statement was not a big deal in and of itself,there's no problem with having an opinion and sharing it. But that combined with the "Just Saying" added on the end is what drew my attention. The phrase invokes a tone and premise that I don't consider acceptable for polite discussion and I prefer to nip that sort of expression in the bud.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts