Raptor Forum banner

Best Oil Filter?

17K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  t web2007 
#1 ·
What is the absolute best oil filter? Are the aftermarket ones better than stock ones?

I don't care about price, I am running AMSOIL full synthetic racing oil, change oil and filter every trip approximately every 15 engine hours.

#4 ·
They're all about the same. I run K&N

Reactions: mattzila
#5 ·
K n here to. Evidently I ordered about a dozen of them "late " one night.
The best part, evidently I ordered another box of em "late one night " again. They showed up within 2 days of each other.
Damn eBay should have a breathalyzer option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
i did that with the LED headlights, ordered two sets instead of one somehow.

Reactions: Whitney and Cammy
#7 ·
I just did my oil change last week and did a K&N.

#23 ·
I agree, don't spend a lot of money for only 20 -40 hrs. But most of you are missing the point of the filter. It's not catching oil, it's catching debris. You should cut open the filter and look for normal casting chunks that will break loose, but most important are the silver and chrome pieces of bearings starting to fail. If this is caught early, sometimes catastrophic failure can be prevented.

Reactions: Whitney and Cammy
#9 ·
RMATVMC has the Neutron filters (idk how good they are) for 2.50 ea

#14 ·
Hey Ian how many oil filters do you want for those lights?

• Haha
Reactions: Whitney
#15 ·
LMAO! As fate would have it either i screwed one up installing it or defect i dont know but one of the ones is messed up. Probably an easy fix though. It still works just a little loose in the housing.

Reactions: mattzila
#16 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

New to Forum, and just bought a new 2017 Raptor 700R back in Dec 2016, still all stock.

To: xMOWERYx, mattzila, ian77, and BlackSupra all recommending K&N (I'm guessing K&N-145).

I have done only 1 oil change so far and used the oem filter which I bought the same day as Raptor purchase. I ordered the K&N-145 (Amazon $7 vs. oem $14,) that arrived yesterday which K&N's website says the 145 oil filter fits my 2017 Raptor 700R, and it is much shorter than my oem Yamaha filter; I haven't done an oil change or used it yet, however, I do see it's quite shorter than oem.
Did I order the correct K&N-145 filter as it looks much shorter than oem? How will this shorter filter fit snug if it's shorter? I don't recall any springs, bushings, etc... that will take up the slack of this shorter filter. Did you guys have to modify anything? I just don't recall anything within the housing that will take up the slack when I did my first oil change back in January...
Thank you very much for reading this and any suggestions based on your experience with the shorter K&N...
Edit: The K&N 145 fits fine :)

Thanks Guys,
YamiTsunami

#19 ·
Hey Guys,

New to Forum, and just bought a new 2017 Raptor 700R back in Dec 2016, still all stock.

To: xMOWERYx, mattzila, ian77, and BlackSupra all recommending K&N (I'm guessing K&N-145).

I have done only 1 oil change so far and used the oem filter which I bought the same day as Raptor purchase. I ordered the K&N-145 (Amazon $7 vs. oem $14,) that arrived yesterday which K&N's website says the 145 oil filter fits my 2017 Raptor 700R, and it is much shorter than my oem Yamaha filter; I haven't done an oil change or used it yet, however, I do see it's quite shorter than oem.
Did I order the correct K&N-145 filter as it looks much shorter than oem? How will this shorter filter fit snug if it's shorter? I don't recall any springs, bushings, etc... that will take up the slack of this shorter filter. Did you guys have to modify anything? I just don't recall anything within the housing that will take up the slack when I did my first oil change back in January...
Thank you very much for reading this and any suggestions based on your experience with the shorter K&N...

Thanks Guys,
YamiTsunami
welcome to the forum! ive looked a few different break downs of the 2017 and they are listing the same filter 06 thru 17 of the oem and the k7n. There was an older number that was used and they moved to a new number but that could have just been switching manufactures for the oem filter. could you get a picture of the oem filter and the k&n filter that you have so we can see the size difference or measure them and let us know.

#17 ·
That sounds right, if no one else knows I'll look in the morning and let ya know.

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks mattzila, I appreciate you checking.
I know the KN-145 is correct according to K&N's website, but it being shorter than my oem seems it won't fit snug unless I'm missing something? I don't remember there being anything between crankcase and oil filter cap to compensate, like a spring, for a shorter oil filter. Just don't want to find out half-way through my oil change it fits too loose because it's shorter...
I may just go buy the oem just in case, and then I will post with details of how a shorter oil filter works well, or does not...
I totally believe people posting K&Ns are there 'Go-To' filters that work well, but my OCD is kicking in wondering how a clearly shorter filter fits snug in the space meant for a longer size filter...
Thanks Guys...
Edit: KN 145 fits good on my 2017 Raptor 700R

Reactions: Cammy
#30 ·
Thanks mattzila, I appreciate you checking.
I know the KN-145 is correct according to K&N's website, but it being shorter than my oem seems it won't fit snug unless I'm missing something? I don't remember there being anything between crankcase and oil filter cap to compensate, like a spring, for a shorter oil filter. Just don't want to find out half-way through my oil change it fits too loose because it's shorter...
I may just go buy the oem just in case, and then I will post with details of how a shorter oil filter works well, or does not...
I totally believe people posting K&Ns are there 'Go-To' filters that work well, but my OCD is kicking in wondering how a clearly shorter filter fits snug in the space meant for a longer size filter...
Thanks Guys...
Hi, would the KN145 oil filter fit my 2006 700R
Thanks for your help.

#20 ·
That's what I was saying earlier....K&Ns are different than the OEM ones. The previous owner gave me K&N when I bought my raptor but when I compared it to a stock one, I saw it was shorter. I never used them. I always get an OEM, I think it's the safest one.

#21 ·
145's. All 16 of em

#24 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

t web2007: "Motosport.com has oem filters for $8" Thank You!

ian77, I'll be more than glad to give a pic and measurement here. I guess I just assumed the K&N was much shorter based on some reviews and the noticeable box height difference.
Metal filter caps holding paper element are: KN-145 = 47.5mm / Yamaha 4X7-13440-90 = 49mm, so basically a 1.5mm difference in length. The stem is clearly longer on the Yami oem, but that shouldn't make a big difference since the o-rings on filters are the actual seal.
Visually the actual filters are quite close as the pic will show. Sorry to make a big deal before actually doing a side-to-side comparison; I just was initially going by box height. I will post after my oil change if there's any issues trying K&N vs. Yami since I have them both now...

Thanks for all your replies,
YamiTsunami

Attachments

#25 ·
Hey Guys,

t web2007: "Motosport.com has oem filters for $8" Thank You!

ian77, I'll be more than glad to give a pic and measurement here. I guess I just assumed the K&N was much shorter based on some reviews and the noticeable box height difference.
Metal filter caps holding paper element are: KN-145 = 47.5mm / Yamaha 4X7-13440-90 = 49mm, so basically a 1.5mm difference in length. The stem is clearly longer on the Yami oem, but that shouldn't make a big difference since the o-rings on filters are the actual seal.
Visually the actual filters are quite close as the pic will show. Sorry to make a big deal before actually doing a side-to-side comparison; I just was initially going by box height. I will post after my oil change if there's any issues trying K&N vs. Yami since I have them both now...

Thanks for all your replies,
YamiTsunami
yeah that would fit much nicer i might have to try oem

#26 ·
The stem may make a difference when trying to apply the filter, with the k&n i kept trying to keep it staying level and not falling down while trying to put the cover back on. the added length may make it stand on its own. i only used the oem on my 660 which lasted one oil change and i have only done the k&n on the 700. i may have to do a oem to confirm my theory.

#29 · (Edited)
Correct! Good Point! I now recall on the oem even with longer stem re-seating it 2 times before it stayed in place, thus, it would probably be more difficult with the shorter K&N stem as you stated...

Whatevs... I'm gonna try to see how the K&N fits since it's suppose to be the exact oil filter for the 2017 Raptor, I already paid for it, and it's K&N... haha My fingers and hands are quite sensitive, so if I detect any looseness vs. the longer oem oil filter I will post; I will also post if it fits well...

Thanks Guys...

#28 ·
There is an oil bleed valve on the top part of the motor on the oil line that per manual you crack open, turn it on to ensure oil flow. If you do not have oil in a matter of seconds coming out of that you have something blocked.

Don't wait minutes....by then it could be

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.