Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 raptor that has about 45 hours on it and I did the transmission with ripper racing update kit and I have a K&N air filter. I would like to no witch piston kit to get I will getting the stage 1 hotcam and do it with out a lot of machining. I trail ride and like to go fast. I hope some one can help me out

·
Registered
65 Posts
get wiseco 11:1 pistons (so you can use pump gas with no problems)
what boring are you planning?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
101mm 673cc or would it be best to keep it stock bore? witch will get more power?

·
Registered
65 Posts
"there is no repacement for displacement" ;)
As more cc you get in the engine, more air and fuel you can burn, generating more power and torque. i´ve heard that 686 kits from wiseco are really good and reliable.
if you plan on getting cams, get the hotcams stage 2 with the valve springs, the high compression will compensate the low end, plus the big bore, you´ll get lots o´powa :thumbsup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
no matter what you get keep in mind that the raptor is at it's limit with power, so once you start adding power it will cause failures to the thing you have not upgraded to match your power!!

Higher compression will point out how poorly made the oneway bearing is, so plan on changing that if you do anything other than a stock piston, the same goes for adding heavier springs with a stage II cam.

What ever you do match your parts for what you plan on doing, dont just buy a highflow exhaust if you dont build the motor to take advantage of it. Get my point??

·
Registered
65 Posts
just as my dad says:

"every mechanichal system will brake by the weakest part"

so we always try to make traction tires/ground be the weakest part, get my point?? ;)

might be a stupid question but, will my mods also make my rappy less reliable?? :3question: :'(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How good are the JE Pistons??

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
pewterpecker said:
I head the wiseco kits had problems with wrist pins???
Nope, that's JE. Wiseco has had 0 problems with the raptor 660.

slipknot 23 said:
How good are the JE Pistons??
I'd never install one on a raptor 660 unless it was a 105mm or larger. The 100-102 have had a lot of reliability issues.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of reliability issues?? do you know

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
slipknot 23 said:
What kind of reliability issues?? do you know
Yes, I do. Failed wristpins, cracked decks, and significant differences in dynamic vs static compression ratios.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts