Raptor Forum banner

Best Port and Polish

8K views 62 replies 23 participants last post by  White Rider 
#1 ·
Ok, so next year I'm making my laundry list of things to do to my raptor. Probably going to a higher compression piston, something I can still run pump gas on. Also going to get a +3TB, and a Cam, not sure which yet. Was thinking hot cams stage 3. But..... I hear there are better out there if I get new valve springs. So... Might as well do a port and polish right??? Question is, who gets the most power out of their port and polish? I know an average job will yeild some gain. But I want to know who out there has the reputation for getting the most gain, and still being reliable??? This is a raptor built for all round duning, not just racing, it does get ridden, and it will get riden hard. I also dont want to have to tear it down for valve adjustments all the time... I can find all sorts of stuff for YFZ's saying who does it good.. but no real Rep out there I've found for raptor head's... Let me know what you guys have got... what it ran you....

#2 ·
Who has the best port work?...that all depends on who you ask. My vote goes to Bo white, but there are others that do great work as well. I would contact the experts like Bo, Barker, RE, high desert dyno....all do excellent work, and talk with them, tell them what you want and then go with the one that you feel most comfortable with. Depending on what you want done to the head, they can range from 500 or so up past a grand.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm going to go with Racers Edge (of course), lol. I'm getting 70hp out of my mild build. P&P with +1 valves ran me $600. Very reliable IMO. But seeing you are in Oregon, it would probably be a better route to just drop it off at HDD at let Daniel work his magic! :D

#4 ·
Daniel at HDD, Beau at Team Rocket Factory, and the king of bling are all very close to me... Such a difficult decision.

I see you're an A-10 Crewcheif... U still in? I work E&E on F-15's

#5 · (Edited)
Yep, I'm still in. I was curious as to where you knew BOHICA from, lol. The story of our lives! You wanna trade bases? :D I miss Oregon...

#6 ·
All the companies listed offer great port jobs. Though I do think Kenz has a special going on for CNC. And HDD is very close to you, great option. Hard to say anyone's the best, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of PM's telling you where to send your head to and why a certain place is better :lol:

#7 ·
We have lots of openings. Look on USA Jobs for Kingsley Field, OR. It's an Air National Guard Base, but we are full time. We train F-15 pilots. And you can palace chase from active duty.... Just an option. Athough there isn't crap out here in Klamath Falls. LOL.

#8 ·
Yeah I was born and raised all over OR so I know the place well. Sure do miss it! Oh, and the $600 for my head also included clearancing for the webb4. Happy shopping!!

#9 ·
I think we can all agree that there are a few companies here that do top notch work.

I also think it is invaluable to have a builder that's within a reasonable range, and that should be your choice. What starts out as a head, turns into something more, and more, etc, which is why it's so beneficial.

My vote goes to Daniel at HDD, and being close to you makes it even better. Our loss down here in the the Southwest corner of the US is the gain of the Northwest region!

#12 ·
So far your the first to be able to give a HP gain on yours... Is that an estimate, or did you guys dyno that day? I'm wondering what I'll see and if I should go + anything on it... +1 +2 +3...

#15 ·
I would say that most builders in a build for build sense are going to be in the same ballpark for power. Comparing apples to apples that is. Most of the heads all perform real well. I have to agree it going to all depend on the build. Figure out what you want for a build and what kind of $$$ you want to spend on a build. Then make your decicion on who to use. We have used just about everyones heads out there in exception of Bo's. All builds made great power and very happy customers.

P.s/ Another thing to take into concideration is the person putting it together. Are they going to slap it together not measuring anything? Are they going to degree the cam? Are they going to go for true comp ratio? There is alot to be had if your trying to squeeze every last bit of power out of a particular build.

Just my .02 I still like the feel of a nicely built sb/ss may be slower but seat of the pants feels fast. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
Bo,Barker,or HDD all great porters. I ran a HDD head and a Bo head liked both.

#17 ·
I say google "porting and polishing" and spend a couple of days reading up. You'll only be at the tip of the ice burg, but get your terms right and atleast try to sound like you know what your talking about :lol: Then call up each builder and "feel" out each builder and see which one give you the warm fuzzy feeling. I was in your same shoes 4 years ago and went with Bo White. He's always there to answer a question or just to BS a little.

IMO, all the builder will be pretty damn close if you get the same grade of head. RE, Barker, Bo White, and DL are all great people to deal with!

#18 ·
I went with Racers Edge....they have a CNC machine and have it programmed very well. Their heads are on some of the baddest machines out there, and shipping a head out of state is no big deal. But your question about numbers isnt completely relevant. Im sure if I put a stock head on my build it would drop 20+hp....but if you put my head on a stock bike it wouldnt gain a whole lot. So its all in the right combination of parts, but for something like what youre doing I would go with a +2intake and +1 or +1.5exhaust.

#19 ·
That all makes total sense. Different combination of parts will most definately see different results. Just hard to narrow down what to do with my build to get it right. I'm horrible at setting a price limit on a part. Better at finding a price and putting the money together for it. I heard Craz E Deals just sold to someone from Medford that does porting, polishing.. ground up builds. But I dont know much about it. I'll definately get on google for a while. I know the hardest thing for me is the variety of builders I now have withing a couple of hours from me. HDD, King Of Bling, and team Rocket factory, and all have the Rep of being able to build a good solid bike that isn't going to have issues. Thank you all for your advice!!!

#20 ·
I am very good friends with the guy who just bought Craz E Dealz. He and I have worked together for alot of years. I actually had beers with him lastnight discussing the change. I will surely be doing all my dyno work with him now. We will be camped together at Dunefest. Come out and check his Honda 450+R run. He will be out for racing on Friday and Sat and back at the shop to learn the ropes the rest of the time. Go check him out at Craz E Dealz he is a very talented and easy guy to deal with. We are headed over wedensday early afternoon come watch the racing!!!!

#21 ·
All listed have a great rep on the forum and that's important when getting work done.

I have had Bo do a port for me and he did amazing work. Being quite far away (Canada), I did not want to have any issues. I was in Alabama on a trip, took the opportunity to take him out for supper and he is a great guy all around.

#24 ·
All listed have a great rep on the forum and that's important when getting work done.

I have had Bo do a port for me and he did amazing work. Being quite far away (Canada), I did not want to have any issues. I was in Alabama on a trip, took the opportunity to take him out for supper and he is a great guy all around.
And what supper it was. I take almost all of the guys that come down out to eat to experience Alabama cuisine(especially since most pay for my meal lol):beer:

#23 ·
That's pretty awesome. You're living my dream buyin that place. Wish I could be there at Dune Fest to see your Honda. The woman has a trx400 I may be coming to you for some work... Good Luck on the purchase.

@kingofbling - My clutch is still out of the quad. Have the new pieces, but the engine cases are all going to powder coat this week! Gettin a little dress up!!!

#25 ·
I personally work with Racers Edge for all my porting and they do a killer job and have a quick turn around. Think most the guys that have been named all provide good work. I always like to call and talk to them all land see who can help you out the most for what your doing.

#26 ·
One porter that's been mentioned in this thread. Once told me that once you go so far with head it doesn't really matter as far as the reputable porters go. He said maybe +1hp or so difference. I'm not gonna mention names. He was comparing RE,HDD,Rocket Factory,Bo White and Kenz. He said you can only do so much before being too much resulting in loss of power.

#27 ·
That was exactly my worry.. Reason for wanting to figure out who to go with.. Thank you

#28 ·
That porter has been on this thread if he choices to remain anonymous that's up to him. You're in good hands with Barker,Bo White,HDD,Racers Edge,Kenz,or TRF. There's more reputable ones I just tired of typing. Call em all see who fits in budget and who's turn around time is in schedule. Some already have heads ready to go you send your stock for a core and the new one be sent right out. It's according to how big you plan on going what cam and such cause some big cams require a bit of head clearing not just rockers.

#35 ·
Before anyone jumps in here posting what details Ill reply now.
Sure, when it comes to one on one same valve same port opening I will put my port up against anyones but when it comes to one off race cylinder heads I dont know, never been compared to anyones. RE, Kenz, HDD any other top shop will say the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.