Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 700 base model with pogos all around, so obviously those have to go.

My plan is to own this raptor basically forever. With that in mind, I'm looking for opinions on the best long term options for shocks. Should I go with Yamaha OEM piggybacks? Spend a little more on elkas? Maybe even more on Fox floats? Will I notice much difference between the three?

I'm not a professional rider, but I do notice and appreciate how the shocks make the bike behave. I have small jumps at my house, so jumping is a consideration.

Any and all opinions welcome, as I'm definitely in the learning process.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would price out some later model ‘take offs’ from egay or craigslist and having those rebuild/revalved/resprung. Then compare that price to a new set that may or may not be revalved for you from the factory. At the price some want for used shocks, rebuilding charge, plus shipping two ways you may be money ahead to buy new.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Just got a 700 base model with pogos all around, so obviously those have to go.

My plan is to own this raptor basically forever. With that in mind, I'm looking for opinions on the best long term options for shocks. Should I go with Yamaha OEM piggybacks? Spend a little more on elkas? Maybe even more on Fox floats? Will I notice much difference between the three?

I'm not a professional rider, but I do notice and appreciate how the shocks make the bike behave. I have small jumps at my house, so jumping is a consideration.

Any and all opinions welcome, as I'm definitely in the learning process.
I wouldn't consider purchasing OEM Piggybacks if this is your forever ride. I would save up for Elkas, PEP, Custom Axis, Floats, or Motowoz. I ran Motowoz on my last two builds and loved both setups. I suggest the Houser LT+2.25" a-arms at the same time if you're looking for comfort and stability. You will notice a huge difference between aftermarket shocks against stock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't consider purchasing OEM Piggybacks if this is your forever ride. I would save up for Elkas, PEP, Custom Axis, Floats, or Motowoz. I ran Motowoz on my last two builds and loved both setups. I suggest the Houser LT+2.25" a-arms at the same time if you're looking for comfort and stability. You will notice a huge difference between aftermarket shocks against stock.
Out of all those options you listed, is there one that stands out for absolute maximum comfort/softness across rough choppy sand and gravel while still being able to perform in the turns and jumps?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The stock rear shock is fully adjustable, and can be resprung and revalved for your weight and application.
Stock front remote resivoir shocks can also be resprung and revalved, and perform as good as properly set Elkas, Fox, whatever.
With the only real difference being weight, as the aftermarket shocks will be lighter...along with your wallet, lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stock rear shock is fully adjustable, and can be resprung and revalved for your weight and application.
Stock front remote resivoir shocks can also be resprung and revalved, and perform as good as properly set Elkas, Fox, whatever.
With the only real difference being weight, as the aftermarket shocks will be lighter...along with your wallet, lol.
My 660 had yfz front shocks from jogaca, and obviously they were better than the stock pogos, but I could definitely feel every little tiny bump. They were technically set up for stock a arms, but I ended up putting them on +2 arms and never sent them back for adjustment. Would that hurt the ride quality significantly?

If I can get the ride quality with OEM piggybacks even 90% as good as premium shocks, then I'll probably go that route. I just wasn't super duper happy about the overall ride quality on my 660 with yfz fronts, but that could have been my fault.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
My 660 had yfz front shocks from jogaca, and obviously they were better than the stock pogos, but I could definitely feel every little tiny bump. They were technically set up for stock a arms, but I ended up putting them on +2 arms and never sent them back for adjustment. Would that hurt the ride quality significantly?

If I can get the ride quality with OEM piggybacks even 90% as good as premium shocks, then I'll probably go that route. I just wasn't super duper happy about the overall ride quality on my 660 with yfz fronts, but that could have been my fault.
The thing is, adjustable shocks are meant to be adjusted.
Yes, you set the sag/preload, then adjust compression and rebound, as well as high speed dampening on newer 700 front shocks.
A good handling machine is usually set firm, but is Easily adjusted to be less harsh.
Remove a half turn of C or R from both fronts, C Or R, only one at a time.
Also, for proper sag, if the front is great but the rear is off, or vice versa, the whole ride suffers.
Learn to set up suspension, and you will be amazed at the difference in handling.
A little change can make a big difference.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Out of all those options you listed, is there one that stands out for absolute maximum comfort/softness across rough choppy sand and gravel while still being able to perform in the turns and jumps?

When you order one of the spring shocks, they decipher your build sheet. I haven't had one complaint to date about the suspension being too harsh. Just make sure you list a comfortable ride is very important to you in the build sheet. All of these shocks will be great for jumping and fast-paced cornering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts