Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really hopping I can make it to the Oregon dunes this year, but I'm unsure just what tire to get. I'm currently running skat trak hualers, shaved beed to beed, and are a triple buff. I love these tires and would never change to anything else, but with all the trees and sticks I'm afraid they will get ruined at places like the Oregon dunes. So far the only dunes I've been too are the st. Anthony's sand dunes in Idaho. Any recommendations would be great!
I had some geckos when i first started riding the dunes and they SUCK, so thanks, but don't recommend those!

·
Happiness Through Horsepower
81 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. I have a stock '11 700 and am looking for an all around sand tire not just for hill shoots and dragging. I like the sand trails, bowls, and anything fun to play on.
Thanks
Joey

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I run a 20" tire and love it. Some will say 21" or 22" is better. 22 is great for tree shots, hill climbs BC of the clearance but harder to turn for tight teqniqual stuff. So I gave up that and went with an all around paddle. Few run 21 and say its the best of both worlds. I don't like the v paddle tires for hill climbs unless you weight 100lbs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wondering the same thing. I have a stock '11 700 and am looking for an all around sand tire not just for hill shoots and dragging. I like the sand trails, bowls, and anything fun to play on.
Thanks
Joey
Me and the guys i ride with all changed from what we where running to haulers and gliders and have never looked back. If i was rich i would stick with them no matter where i ride, but these skat traks are getting way to expensive to be ripping a part and getting holes in. The best part about them is they are really light. So i guess i would like to find the lightest tire I can that still has some durability to them.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I've never had any problems with my haulers but I'm also pretty aware of sticks and what not or try to be.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Many people run sls with no problems. there are not sharp sticks just sticking out of the the ground here. It is mainly roots that you ride over. so if you pin it on a root you could rip a paddle off, I have never gotten a hole in any of my haulers. I am not cautious. I rub up against tree trucks roots and anything else sticking out and I have never popped a tire. I will probably never be careful until pop my first tire. I have 3 years on my current haulers and not much wear or anything. I go duning in the oregon dunes fri-sun 2 times a month from feb to november. and have no problems.

·
Registered
214 Posts
oregon dunes typically seem to have people running 1-2 more paddles that those at st anthony. and 22" paddles are important especially with all the ruts. it is easy to get high centered and some spots can(not will) limit which tree shots you can complete.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I guess I'll just stick with my 22x11x8 hualers, and least for the first trip and hope I don't ruin them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts