Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to upgrade my motor when I bought it the previous owner put on the little 3 on it but now it is time for some upgrades, I have already think I know what I want but wanted to hear some info from others before I spend so much. Here are my thoughts
Barkers or DMC
PC V
HDD 50/50
Springs
Tech 11.5
I looked these items up on tqs and came in about a hundred over my budget plus shipping if anybody has any other suggestions that would be appreciated, I know I need suspension upgrades but right now im ready for more power.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also what all is involved clearancing the rocker arms for the 50/50

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come on guys I am just about ready to buy and need to make sure im not about to make a mistake.

·
Registered
415 Posts
there is a thread on another forum about this. search how to clearance rocker arms on www. Modd ed Rap t0r .com

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I say buy a 1 way ticket to hawaii that's what I wanna do

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I say buy a 1 way ticket to hawaii that's what I wanna do
Funny you say that my grandparents were just talking about taking a full family vacation there this fall so maybe I can have both. :)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
That seems like a good mild build. You can reduce cost by going with an X2 or HC2/3 and 11:1 CP and still have a good runner.

Don't forget about the other site sponsors. They can offer great deals as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you put the 1500$ in my paypal account it will save you alot of headaches just keep it stock:D
My previous 660 had about the same mods as I want to do now and even my girlfriend can tell the difference between the two bikes. The 700 is better in every way but I just got to have the power back. And it is not common to run WOT for 4 to 5 miles straight on the highway so it is probably time for a new piston and rings anyway.
I think I have the same problem as most everybody else on here that the performance will never be enough and I will always want more.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The rocker just needs to be ground down so the cam can rotate, and I think the 5050 is like the Web4 and so the head needs to be clearanced a little to fit it in. I would forget the big cams for now and save them for when you get head work. Try a tech piston, duals, power commander, and a bored TB. The 5050 really won't do what you want until you get it put into a nice head. Save the rest of your money to go towards a good +1 or 2 head and a better cam and springs.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
The rocker just needs to be ground down so the cam can rotate, and I think the 5050 is like the Web4 and so the head needs to be clearanced a little to fit it in. I would forget the big cams for now and save them for when you get head work. Try a tech piston, duals, power commander, and a bored TB. The 5050 really won't do what you want until you get it put into a nice head. Save the rest of your money to go towards a good +1 or 2 head and a better cam and springs.
You gonna need the head cleared as well. Plus a port and polish so you just went from 1500 to 2-2500 total unless you can do yourself.

·
Registered
615 Posts
That seems like a good mild build. You can reduce cost by going with an X2 or HC2/3 and 11:1 CP and still have a good runner.

Don't forget about the other site sponsors. They can offer great deals as well.
The X2 isn't going to reduce it by much, you still have to have the rockers clearanced and HD springs to run it.

A friend of mine has an X2 for sale, I think he wants $100+shipping for it. I used to run one in mine, it's a good cam, not quite as popent as a Webb 4 or a 50/50 but a hell of a lot better than any of the hot cams. That is saving you 150-200 bucks there.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
You don't need port & polish to run a 5050 cam.
I know but while you're clearing the head and it's off you might as well port and polish to get the cams full potential. It's gonna need rockers cleared to. So if not wanting to do any head work go HC3 and a 11.5:1 tech piston if you ain't gonna race it primarily just dune or trail this will be plenty enough along with a +3 TB and dynatek. FCI intake DMC force 4's that's all your money maybe a bit more look for used parts on here first. Then you may have some left was a great deal on force 4's a week or two back. Used parts work great,lol.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Correct, but why put a high performance cam with springs and clearance work in a low performance head?
It would be like taking a supermodel on a date to Taco Bell, why?
my point exactly.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Correct, but why put a high performance cam with springs and clearance work in a low performance head?
It would be like taking a supermodel on a date to Taco Bell, why?
my point exactly.
By that logic, why put a pump gas piston in? It won't perform to it's potential. Why go with a stock TB when a 58 TB will outperform it? Why go with Force 4s when other exhaust outperform it? Where does it end?

My point is, while it won't perform at it's optimum, it will outperform a HC3. Carpenter is putting down some great power with his 5050 and he has a stock head.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Its all the work that is needed to install and run it and then not getting the most out of a high performance cam that is expensive. It has nothing to do with its ability to out perform and the "where does it end factor." Most guys I know buy something and want to get their money out of it. It only makes sense to get the port job to go with the cam, why hold it back? That's why I suggested another route until homeboy can get the cam he wants and then he can get an appropriate port job so his money does not go to waste.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I do see your point and I agree to an extent. But he could always get the cam he wants now and do the porting later when his budget allows. Why buy a cam twice? It's a great cam that will work well with port work or without. Seems like two purchases would be money wasted. I've done it too many times.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Wow,this took a U turn quick. It's a waist of time spending money on that cam and not getting head work right. He(OP) the one that first mentioned the 11:1 I just recommended the hc3 since no port with a extra .5 compression if it was mine I'd drop in a stroker crank 54tb extreme +2 port and 13.5:1 compression oh I already did that. He asked for opinions and got em. everybody got one I'm sure you heard the saying.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts