Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve grown to really enjoy my dobeck style hmf optimizer, but I’m afraid it won’t be able to handle the addition of a 11.1:1 piston and hcIII to my big 3 build. The settings are around 4-5-5 right now. I know a pcv and a dyno/auto tune is the go to, but I like to test and learn so messing with the settings on the optimizer is half the fun for me. Will I have timing/detonation issues if I still use the optimizer? Running 93 octane, could add a little booster as well. I’d rather pay ~$350 for a nice set up I can mess with than pay double that for a perfect one I set and forget. Is running a pcv and dynatek ignition needed for a reliable good running bike? Any comments or examples welcome

·
Super Moderator
8,528 Posts
There should be no issue with it handling that, it’s not a big change of air flow.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,748 Posts
Changing compression or a cam doesn't affect the air/fuel ratio so no change is necessary. Once the a/f is in the motor you can change compression or volume without a map change. The throttle body size affects air in and exhaust affects the air out. If they change a map change may be necessary.

BUT, the PC5 will give a infitately more adjustability then 5 or 6 adjustments on a Dobeck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay great, thanks for the replies. So ignition timing shouldn’t be necessary either? I know some guys get unlucky, but I don’t want to be pinging real bad if I have to run 91 or something. Does the timing chain that comes with some of the hc3 help pinging? Is it necessary? Is the power/reliability increase of a dynatek ignition enough with 11.1 piston and hc3 to warrant the price?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,748 Posts
The Dyna FS Ignition will raise the RPM's from 9000 to 9100 RPM limit. The dip switches allow 4 different advance curves, including stock. Timing advancing will increase power but IDK how much without being on a dyno. Place the unit in a accessible place so you can change the advance as needed depending on the fuel.

A 11:1 piston should run just fine with 91/92 octane, stock timing, at sea level or higher. Adding timing will increase the need for more octane. A timing chain shouldn't affect pinging, but if it has a lot of hours and/or is stretched it should be replaced.

IDK the price of the FS ignition. I had one my 700 and never really played with it. Reliability with a 'good' 11:1 piston and HC3 shouldn't be a problem as long as you have the correct octane and a good map.

Reactions: RaptorRock
1 - 5 of 5 Posts