Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I have a well oilled Twin Air stock style Foam filter, which is supposed to be better than the stock one, I run an Outerwears pre filter, well oilled too on that filter. And I even run an outerwear pre filter on the stock air box lid hole !

So I run one foam filter and 2 prefilters !!

I rode on the track last week-end, it was pretty muddy with puddles of dirty water. So riding conditions are pretty extreme.

I changed my air filter today and here's what I found, I took off the intake boot dirt went through...
Judge by yourself...
The airbox pre filter is on the yellow arrow.

And here's the intake of the throttle body !!! :eek::mad::mad:
I've cleaned it before so it was clean before I rode on the muddy track !

You can even see dirt/little rocks on the pic above !

So dirt obviously made its way onto the cylinder !

What happens when your TB looks like that ? and when dust/dirt came into the engine ??
Can it harm something ?
What should I do ?
I'll clean the intake of the TB we can see on the pic of course but should I do anything else ? like run additive on my gas that is made to clean the engine ?

How do you guys run as filters ?
I though that foam filter were better than K&N style filters... So what's the best air filter in the world ???? the one that protects the best the engine ??

·
Registered
186 Posts
well my friend just got some sand in hit motor and the piston siezed needed a new head and everything

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, if it only damage the piston then it'll be a good excuse to go for a rebuilt kit with a high comp piston and HC3 camshaft but if it also wrecks the head that would piss me off !

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there antyhing I should do ?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Yeah man why don't ya try an amsoil filter with prefilter???
That's some knarly freakin buildup in there man your gonna kill your intake valves and cylinder walls, piston etc. if you keep doin that to it!

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly I don't think that an AMS oil filter w/pre filter would have filtered better. It's a gauze filter, and everyone around don't recommand gauze for extreme conditions.
Have you ever ride in extreme conditions with your AMS oil filter ?

So it can f*ck the valves, piston and cylinder wall up ?
I did what I could to prevent that, I ran 2 pre filters and one well oilled foam filter, what else could I do ? lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
Im not really sure bro but his bike just locked up and the shop told us a little bit of sand got in there and is what caused it... How much sand i have no idea but still.. Is your raptor running funny or anything?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
the problem is Water... it pushes the dirt thru with it....eliminate the water getting up into the air box and you will eliminate the problem. id ditch that oem style setup for a clamp on filter and adaptor which will cure half the problem of dirt getting by the front seal

·
Registered
555 Posts
That is NASTY and a shocker to see all that injested into your engine. You're going to need to take it all apart for inspection and any repairs.
Like Daniel said, it travels in with the water. Get that solved and you'll be a whole lot better. Sorry to see that.

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the problem is Water... it pushes the dirt thru with it....eliminate the water getting up into the air box and you will eliminate the problem. id ditch that oem style setup for a clamp on filter and adaptor which will cure half the problem of dirt getting by the front seal
Yeah that's what I though: dirty water comes through the filters.
That's why I've put an outerwears on the airbox lid but it didn't stop water.

Here's an idea I had: Why not block the hole on the airbox lid, and cut a hole under or on the back of the airbox with and outerwears on it, so water can't enter from the top. And if it comes in from the botom, it'll flow down out of the airbox immedialty and won't touch the filter.
Is it a good idea ? Even for dusty/dry conditions ?

That is NASTY and a shocker to see all that injested into your engine. You're going to need to take it all apart for inspection and any repairs.
Like Daniel said, it travels in with the water. Get that solved and you'll be a whole lot better. Sorry to see that.
I won't take apart my engine, at least not immediatly because I've never opened and engine lol.
However it might be the time and a good excuse to go for a rebuilt kit so when I open the engine I can install the new parts too :D

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Honestly I don't think that an AMS oil filter w/pre filter would have filtered better. It's a gauze filter, and everyone around don't recommand gauze for extreme conditions.
Have you ever ride in extreme conditions with your AMS oil filter ?

So it can f*ck the valves, piston and cylinder wall up ?
I did what I could to prevent that, I ran 2 pre filters and one well oilled foam filter, what else could I do ? lol
Amsoil filters are not gauze!!! They are nanofiber and filter ten times better than gauze. But suite yourself :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Amsoil filters are not gauze!!! They are nanofiber and filter ten times better than gauze.
Do you oil these nanofiber filters? Isn't there someone on here that's a dealer? I'm interested in the Amsoil filters.

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amsoil filters are not gauze!!! They are nanofiber and filter ten times better than gauze. But suite yourself :)
To what kind of filter are they close to for the airflow ? Monster ? Trinity ?
Because there's no dyno here in Tahiti so I need to find all my maps online, there's not much maps for HMF exhausts and there's none for an AMS oil filter...
Does it stop water well ?

Do you oil these nanofiber filters? Isn't there someone on here that's a dealer? I'm interested in the Amsoil filters.
Carpenter :D:D

·
VIP
1,058 Posts
As DL Mentioned, you need to ditch the stock style filter and get yourself a clamp on filter with the billet adapter.Either a Monster, Pro Design or Amsoil. I know that Pro Design has a foam filter available if you still prefer to use one. Run and Outerwears on the filter and I would ditch your stock lid for a Pro Tec lid or you can run an Outerwear that covers the entire airbox top.

Your issue is that the snorkel was ramming the dirty water directly at the base of your filter and the stock setup has such a shitty seal that the dirty water went directly into your intake tube.

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I noticed that the stock snorkel threw water directly onto the filter, that's why I had the idea of the airbox cut I said above.

Wouldn't no lid with an Outerwears cover let more dirt/water enter than the stock lid ?
Oh and are Pro designs kits good ? I believe you can swap from foam to K&N with thoses kit.

The thing is that I have 4 stock style air filter... I'd a little pissed if I bought 3 filters that I can't use no more :D

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
To what kind of filter are they close to for the airflow ? Monster ? Trinity ?
Because there's no dyno here in Tahiti so I need to find all my maps online, there's not much maps for HMF exhausts and there's none for an AMS oil filter...
Does it stop water well ?

Carpenter :D:D
Yeah they are close to the trinity or pro design so that map should work. My plug is a little black when running my amsoil while using the map I had from the trinity. So you could use that map or just send the map to DL or Lucas or somebody for afew minor adjustments until your happy with your plug. If you want one then you actually have to buy it yourself through amsoil because I'm not a vendor on here. But you can Email me and I'll give you the numbers and such [email protected] Oh and yes they do a great job stopping water although you'll prolly still want to run a filter lid. And no you dont have to oil them.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
+1 Pull the plug on the bottom of the air box to let the water out oh and never rev it up with a wet filter... I think that the water had no place to go but in the motor... ALL FILTERs will let water go in to the motor... It's not a jetski man lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts