Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im running a stock suspension setup i have spacers on the back but i like to run the MX track localy and catch some air but also still like to run the trails. can somebody give me some suspension ideas for like the axel,a arms,shocks thats not gonna break my wallet. ive heard alot bout dura blue axels? are they good for good air but the trails to and what abour the diamond j customs wideing kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Raptor-660R-A-arms-Shocks-ATV-Widening-Kit-/310215667267?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item483a4b6e43 and are the stock shocks on a yfz450 fit a 660 and are they any beter then the 660s

·
Registered
532 Posts
The yfz 450 shocks will fit with a little modification , and yes it is better than stock . If you go doing the suspension you really need a big wallet , quality shocks, a - arms , and axle, are expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Suspension is the first and safest thing for you to concentrate on if you really plan on MX racing the Raptor. It's one thing to kick around on a track but another to actually run in a race with other bikes dicing it up. The YFZ shocks need to be pre-2009 and yes you will have to modify the lower and upper mounting brackets. Good aftermarket shocks and A arms are hard to find used but whatever you find will need proper set up. The bike needs to be lower in the front and rear for MX. On a budget the rear shock is pretty good and you can lower the rear link by flipping it (I posted a non-flipping mod for where and how to drill out the link if flipping the link ends up being to low).
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-81260.html

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
what kinda modding?
For the YFZ shocks or for the rear link? Both will need modding to set up a 660 raptor for MX on a budget IMO. The lower A arm can be cut and modified on the bike but is much easier to do off the bike on a work bench using the bench grinder, drill press and cutting wheels. Regarding the rear link, I noticed the link I posted no longer has the images attached, not sure why, but that would explain itself with the images. first flip the link and see how you like the bike with 18" tires on 8" rims and then decide if that mod was to low then drill a new mounting location using the instructions on my post.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I am running 2+2 front and rear in width and +4 swing arm with 450 front shocks and LOVE the ride, BUT I ride the sand. I do need a better rear shock but I have been playing with what I got and working on it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when u say 2+2 what does that mean? dont be aa smart ass i no it means 4 lolololol but seriousley what dose that mean?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
when u say 2+2 what does that mean? dont be aa smart ass i no it means 4 lolololol but seriousley what dose that mean?
The 2+2 generally comes from the Durablue axle for the 660 Raptor which is 2" longer than stock with the spacers outside or in front of the hub. You can add an additional 2" by moving the spacer behind the hub and the axle becomes 2" plus 2" more for a total of 4" longer than stock depending on your application.

When someone is talking about their front suspension they may say +2 for 2" wider A arms or they may have a set of +2+1 which means the A arms are +2 wider and a +1 forward bend for more chassis length which moves the engine weight back on the bike for stability and helping to transfer horsepower to the ground. I run +2+1 A arms and a +3 swingarm.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Quadracer, It's hard to say cheap when talking about a-arms, axles, shocks in the same sentence. Considering your doing a little bit of motocross and trail riding the best setup in my opinion would include the following products: Lone Star Sport Series A-Arms, LSR Pro Axle , and a set of shocks. I recommend these products because Lone Star offers a no questions ask warranty on their axles and a-arms, so if you come up short or over jump and bend an a-arm or axle they'll cover it.

Lone Star Sport Series A-Arms / Axle: 799.95

270-774-1982
www.kbmatv.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts