Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

New to 700's here (but have worked on a few 660's), and need some advice.

Ive got a 2006 raptor 700 with a bad cylinder, but is in otherwise great shape. The bike is all stock. I'm going to have the cylinder sleeved, and can go big bore at the same time for similar cost.

My question is, due to the stock intake and pipe, do I need to stay with the stock bore(102mm)? I know that ideally I big bore would have both intake and exhaust, but I don't have the money at the moment to change those.

So will it run? Ive never messed with a fuel injected quad before, so I'm concerned that getting the fuel right would be difficult (as most big bore maps would be set up for aftermarket intakes and exhausts).

Worse case senerio I guess I just go stock bore, high compression?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
437 Posts
na you can upgrade youll just see much bigger gains once you add those other things. all id recommend is a programer ull need that

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I do go big bore, would you go to 105 or what? What's an inexpensive programmer that would work for this?

Anyone else want to weigh in?

·
Registered
138 Posts
PC3's can be picked up pretty cheap now days. Make sure the sleeve job is done by somebody who knows what they are doing. Personally, I wouldn't run a sleeved cylinder, but a lot of people do with no problems. I had a sleeved cylinder once, and was told to run them with the SCE copper head gaskets (maybe someone else will chime on whats best to run with them).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've had sleeves on several dirt bikes, with good success, so I'm confident in it, but I agree, you need to use someone reputable. If you think about it, every 660 raptor is basically a sleeved cylinder (aluminum cylinder, steel bore).

You guys all think the fuel wont be a problem? Even with the limits of the stock intake and exhaust?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
You will have to tune it for the new displacement. It will be lean otherwise. You don't have to get bigger valves.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
It will run fine, just pull the lid off the airbox and add a fuel controler to add some fuel.. I have been running a 105mm sleeved cylinder for 3 yrs now and it is time to have it boredout. I'm looking at going to 105.5 now. Good luck with your mods.

·
Registered
437 Posts
i would go 105.5 cause it turns it to a 734 and you dont have to modify the case at all. thats what ill be doing when i bore mine

·
Registered
555 Posts
i would go 105.5 cause it turns it to a 734 and you dont have to modify the case at all. thats what ill be doing when i bore mine
Just a thought. Using a 105 has some advantages in that you can run that till it wears out and then a simply bore/hone puts you at 105.5 rather than having to resleeve. Half a mm isn't going to be noticeable at all on the butt dyno but the savings would be on the wallet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a good thought. Do you guys really thing 105mm would not be lean without a fuel controller (if I leave the lid and pipe alone)?

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
Most are lean from the start. I think that the frist motor mod should be a fuel controller.
You can go big bore and then check the plug and see if you need it... I think you will.

·
Registered
437 Posts
^^^ agreed a fuel controler should be the first thing done to these bikes hell thats why i got mine so cheap cause the kid threw a hc2 and a dg full exhaust on it and then wondered why it blew up ha

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
PC3's can be picked up pretty cheap now days. Make sure the sleeve job is done by somebody who knows what they are doing. Personally, I wouldn't run a sleeved cylinder, but a lot of people do with no problems. I had a sleeved cylinder once, and was told to run them with the SCE copper head gaskets (maybe someone else will chime on whats best to run with them).
I wouldnt use a cooper head gasket...they requier alot of re torquing over time...I tryed one on my 3 pluger & it was not fun..Stick with OEM or Commetic gaskets. I also had a bad sleeve install on my build. it set me back alot of time & some good $$. Make sure like stated above that who ever instals the sleeve is trustwerthy..
To the OP, Good luck with your build...

·
Registered
219 Posts
i was gna bore my bike when the rings went out but i decided to put a std bore 11:1 piston in it and i love it!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going to go with the 105mm bore, and I ordered the cometic gasket set. Now I just need to pick up a fuel controller....

Thanks for everyone's input, I'm looking forward to riding this thing!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes do not bring it to anyone unless theyve sleeved before...i had my cylinder sleeved and have had nothing but problems with it since..its gotten to the point to where i want to buy a new cylinder. head gasket after another. i havent heard of a reccomendation about SCE's untill now. Is it worth the 80 bucks for one and take the chance? or spend the 150 on a good cylinder and be done with it? I've argued over and over with the builder and it got to the point to where he thought my damn head bolts streched well...all new bolts and what do u know same problem....so take my advice...dont sleeve your cylinder unless someones done it on a raptor itself.

HDD,Bo they will have all your answeres and then some.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Or i should of read the second page and seen u are going with the 105 build lol good luck with it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, going 105!

For sleeves on my bikes, I've always used these guys: http://kustom-kraft.com/SLEEVING.html They state they have a 5 year warrenty, but I've never sent one back, so I don't know any more than what it says on the page.

The past work with them was all dirt bikes. I did have an issue once with a crank they rebuilt for a yz250 but they resolved it right away with no argument. In fairness, the crank was within spec, I just felt it was bit on the tight side.

Looking at their page, looks like they're moved (used to be CO), I probably haven't used them in about 5 years.

I think you can have problems with company, it's how they resolve things that really makes a good company in my opinion.

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm really itching to ride this thing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts