1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the pros and cons
who to go with on what
and prices

my motors pretty much shot so im looking at my options either way....i wanna go fast!

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
733 Posts
TURBO is in my opinion is the best option, for around $4000 with tons of upgrades 90HP were as like an 804 will cost $2500 to do it rigtht, you will still need a lock up dual exhaust, throttle body air intake, electronics...ect to get 80-85 hp.

pro's - They both go fast!! Turbo is faster.....not as quick out of the hole
cons - they are both expensive!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah its gonna cost out the a to do either but its time to do something....warrenty dont wanna pay to fix my quad so imma fix it how i want it back

·
Registered
562 Posts
JMO /ive always thought getting a turbo and nos is like cheating/ kinda like doing steroids to get big / my bike is fast but i wont line up with a turbo / if u can build a bike to be as fast as a turbo u have accomplished something / JMO

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
JMO /ive always thought getting a turbo and nos is like cheating/ kinda like doing steroids to get big / my bike is fast but i wont line up with a turbo / if u can build a bike to be as fast as a turbo u have accomplished something / JMO

That doesn't make much sense to me, no offence and not trying to start an argument...just posting my opinion.

IMO, once you start modifying...it is all fair game. A lot of car manufacturers are using turbos now instead of big displacement because of the efficiency and ability to make big power. I don't see it as cheating by any means...just using a different technology to produce more HP.

Myself, I looked at the big bore/stroker setups and decided to start off with a bit of nitrous. That was fun, but not what I really wanted...so now i'm going the turbo route (should be getting everything finished up this month).

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i used to do alot of trail riding and went to wv alot to ride the outlaw trails but now im just racing, drag and barrels

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can tell you, a 90hp turbo quad in the trails is going to be a handful, I haven't rode mine in the trails yet, but I can tell it will be way crazy just by the limited riding I've done.

Turbo:
Pro's - usually more torque than a stroker
-ability to vary boost and make whatever HP you want
-bolt on, no engine work required
-completely stock driveability with more power
-has a greater cool factor
-usually more power for similar or lesser price than stroker

Cons
-adds more weight to the quad than a stroker
-more complexity than a stroker
-currently no good "trail" (i.e. water/mud) options available.
-does not have the throttle response of a stroker (stock throttle response before power comes on whereas stroker you have access to that power instantly).
-not stealthy (everyone knows you have something significant done to the quad)

Equal between stroker and turbo
-reliability (at least from what I've seen and heard)
-the need for increased life insurance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My mods are in my sig. English Racing Stage III. Their kits start at $3000. This one was $3950 due to being stage III which is a ball bearing turbo and capable of 100+whp.

They are really well built, well running kits. I have been really happy with it and the power is incredible for a 700cc single. After coming from 700hp cars, literbikes and dirtbikes, I thought the big bad raptor 700 was a let down in stock form, despite being one of the quickest/fastest sport quads made. Well, it's not a let down any more. I now actually have to exercise restraint when riding it and its an adrenaline rush every time.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
What kind of riding do you do? I do alot of trail riding and my 770 makes 75hp, as a trail quad 75hp is a hand full...
+1 yeah it depends on where you ride for sure and dale isn't shittin you there man 70 pony's is hard to hang onto in the trails.
Thats a hell of a build you have there! Where do you ride? You should try gearing up a little JMO but a 15/37 is the way to go. You wont have to shift as fast and you get a lot more out of every gear. Your losing most of your tq in wheel spin geared the way you are now.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
You really can't go wrong either way. :thumbsup: It's just personal preference.

If you go turbo understand as doing a NA build one size does not fit all. Work with the shop doing the kit.

Do you trail ride , dune , street legal , mx , drag race , mud bog , ect. A kit should be tailored to meet your riding style and demands.

The drifter does not use the same set up as a drag racer. Nor does the bonneville racer to the Rally racer.

·
733 Posts
i dont think it would cost to much to turbo it urself if you have access to everything i would say around 5-600
REALLY..............give me your supplier please, make sure you get ahold of Lucas, George, and any other turbo builder, I am very sure they would like to get in on the $500-600 "DO-IT Yourself kit"

You have no clue, I'm not being a ass but that innercooler alone is almost that much if not actually more depending on the application!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
im in az so i ride and drag at the hassyampa river/ lake pleasant/ and i go to mex alot/ and the dunes/ i have tried many gearing ratios/ if they made a 41 rear id get it / you have no idea how fast my bike is 1st thru 5th with this gearing/ its definitly not geared for cross country/ if you want to go fast short distance /like up hills or dragging / you should try it

·
733 Posts
I feel the need to address this comment as well, with a 80-85 hp lets call it a 804, that engine is almost at its high strung limits, you can go larger CC's but then its even higher strung, a turbo can build you 90 HP from a stock motor, no head gasket issues, no overheating issues...ect., that alone is a valuable FACT. not dogging NA bikes have ran them for years, will run them again..........its really your decision.

·
Registered
671 Posts
N/A for trails, turbos need room to spool up. The turbos up here start to take off at about mid third gear on the big hills. To me trails are like a bunch of 60 ft launchs one right after another.JMO, and i ride with hand full of turbo guys. i like the turbo idea but my tuner is an N/A guy.
brad

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i mean i ride tight trails too but the stock motor has plenty for that so im thinkin on the turbo route it woulnt be used alot on the trails just when i take it out to drag race you can turn like a boost controller up and down cant ya?

1 - 20 of 133 Posts