Raptor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how can you tell if your cylinder needs to be bored out? like will it have grooves in it or something along those lines? also how much does it usually cost to have a cylinder actually bored out?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well let me help you out.

Im assuming your having problems with your 700?
It is possible for your rings to around your piston and the cylinder wall to become worn. When this happens you will have low cylinder presssure. ( you can test this with out taking the engine apart) with a guage.
And yes you should be able to fell a lip around the top of the cylinder where the piston stops. The more the piston rings wear down the side of the cylinder the bigger lip gets.
The 700r cylinders are more costly then most to bore do to the fact they have to be nikasil coated after being bored. Most cylinders have a steel sleeve in them. Steel doesnt have to be coated. Just bored out and honed smooth (basicly polished). The 700r cylinders are completly aluminum. In order for aluminum to hold up to the heat and friction of the piston it needs to be nikasil coated. If you bore it, it removes the coating. So its now a 2-3 part job insted of 1-2 part job of only boring and honing.
Locally for me it costs around 250-300 for boring honing and nikasil plating on a single aluminum cylinder at my machine shop. The pistons i have found online for 140-160. JE. that comes with rings and pin. You still need a larger head gasket (to fit the new cylinder size) probley 20-40.00 . you could probley do a big bore kit for 500 locally. Thats any compression and size. All pistons are the same price no matter what compression or size it is. The machine shop charges the same if hes going +1mm , +2mm or +3.5mm. The same work and process for any size.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts