Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, the starter bearing broke on my raptor. I fixed that problem, then it wouldn't start because the gears were in a bind. I turned my bike on it's side and started all over and replaced everything. Once i got everything back together, the starter worked fine but now my bike will not idle. I can start it by giving it a little gas with the throttle but it will not idle and also it will not rev very much at all, then it dies. :3question: Can someone please give me some advice because i really miss riding.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Literally 'turned your bike on it's side" to work on it? Cuz if so, i'd say the problem is in your carb. If everything else is turning over fine, and it starts, it's most likely in the carbs, take it apart, give it a good cleaning, make sure the carb boots are on secure to the head and to the carb. Process of elimination

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. My concern was the timing. If the key on the crank is wore and the mag is a little off, then the timing may be off as well. But, would it still start?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well if the woodruff key was wore, and it was a little off, like millimeters, it would still start. And most likely still idle fine too. I have seen aftermarket keys that are offset to advance or retard your timing, but like i said, we're talking millimeters, not inches. If your quad is just not idling, but starts up and revs up fine, it's most likely in your carb. And if it was turned on its side that might be a good place to start. Gotta start somewhere

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your inputs. I found that i may have a problem with my carbs from listings on this site and another site. I turned my bike on its side to get the gears to align properly and that may be the problem with my carbs. So, as i was disconnecting the airbox, i found that my airbox was full of gas!!! It is something how a simple problem like that can prevent the bike from running. So, anyway, problem solved, thanks again.

P.S. Anyone else who has problems getting their gears to align properly, I makes a difference to remove the starter first, and lean the bike on its side......but check your airbox before trying to start your bike. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts