Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so here's the deal......every gear works good except 2nd. i know why it is screwed up, but how do i fix it????

ok, so i was spinning shitties in the sand in 2nd gear. it was pretty much at wide open throttle. all of a sudden BANG and the engine quit. start looking at it......chain came off and balled up in my front sprocket. broke the little plastic guard off along with some cast from the engine. nothing was leaking oil, so thankfully nothing got cracked. anywhooo, after about an hour of screwing around with it i got the front sprocket off and got the chain out. then i started to wonder how this all happened in the 1st place. well, the nut came off of the bottom bolt that you loosen to tighten the chain. how, i dont know... i always tighten the shit out of those to make sure that doesnt happen. maybe i just forgot to tighten it last time, who knows. anyways, i got it all back together. drove it around in 1st gear a little bit and it seemed to be working. so i loaded it on my frontier to go riding with some friends. got going in 1st gear, shifted to second gear and all i heard was a clicking/grinding noise. shifted to 3rd, 4th, and 5th and everyhing else works fine. so obviously when the chain came off it came to such a sudden stop that it screwed up the gear i was in (2nd). is this an easy fix?? do you think anything else could be wrong too? how much do you think it will be to fix something like this?

·
Registered
86 Posts
i would quit ridding it if a tooth did come off the gear it might take another gear out with the tooth floating around inside the tranny

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Start with pulling the motor, spliting the cases and seeing whats all damaged. A single gear is fairly cheep, $16.36 for a 2nd gear and $33.77 for a 2nd gear pinion on a recent reciet I have. Mating gears may be damaged too.

A good resource is
http://www.raptortranny.com/teardown1.php
this is to update the 01 to the 02+ trans. For rebuilding a trans certain steps can be skiped. You may want to read it a few times so you know it well.

The next question is, since the entire motor is apart, what will you upgrade?

As sac5 said, don't ride it. A broken gear tooth could get over to the plastic oil pump gear and make a mess of it.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts