Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and it looks like 22" tall tires seem to be the ticket for ground clearance, but has anyone gone to a 10" dia wheel and a 23" or 24" tall tire on the rear? Measuring between the footwell and tire it almost seems that a 25" would almost fit but look stupid and have a pretty high CG.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've been wondering this too. Been thinking of going to a 24" for desert racing to help with top speed and ground clearnce. Anybody got Input??

·
Registered
240 Posts
thats what I got now is 23's in the front and 22's in the back, but I still beat the shit out of my skid plate sometimes.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a similar note, if I run a tire like the Mudlite on the rear what is recommended for the front? I want a 6-ply or something very tough for the front, we ride in some pretty obnoxious mud,rocks, stumps so ground clearance and puncture resistance is key. I think I may try a 23" tire on the rear.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
warwgn could you post some pics of your quad form the side. I have 22's for the rear right now and been thinking of going down to a 20 again or getting 23's for up front.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I run a set of XCT's on the trail , 23x7x10 front and 22x11x10 rear on T9 pro's. I have the pro armor nerf bars, with the 22" rears there is about 1.5" - 2.0" of clearance to the nerfs. This has been a great set up for trail riding, ground clearance, handling and traction.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
The biggest problem I see with this is the clearance issues with the heel guards. I can't imagine a tire taller than 22 on the rear. By the time you hit race speeds (80-90) MPH, the tires would be rubbing the guards so hard. Then you would have to seriously build the motor to turn the 25" tall tires that it probably wouldn't be reliable. As well as re-gear it, it would be a joke to run 25"s on a stock motor. It'd be a pig.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The biggest problem I see with this is the clearance issues with the heel guards. I can't imagine a tire taller than 22 on the rear. By the time you hit race speeds (80-90) MPH, the tires would be rubbing the guards so hard. Then you would have to seriously build the motor to turn the 25" tall tires that it probably wouldn't be reliable. As well as re-gear it, it would be a joke to run 25"s on a stock motor. It'd be a pig.
I appreciate you biased opinion, but I am only using them for the trails. I'm sure you payed attention to the picture showing them next to the maxxis, so cleary these aren't my only set. Our trails in the Midwest have a lot of mud and tree limbs and I am tired of having to get off the bike. I don't have an issue with clearance, nor do I ever expect to hit the track and do 90 mph. Trails only, never going past 3rd gear.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
these are 25 on 9" rim. lol. now time for the fronts.

I'm interested to see how long your clutch lasts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I'm sure it will last fine if he does the full fiber mod. Gearing is just changed by the sprockets. Not as much as you would think, just a tooth op front or so. Rotating mass will just be alot more so it will be more gut less but in trails I'm sure he has more then enough power for the trails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts