Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding this weekend, bike turned off and would not start back up because it was overheated, noticed the fan wasn't turning on. So I took it home and connected the fan straight to the battery and it works. What's the next thing I should look for?

·
Master of the Electron
14,518 Posts
You don't need the fan, normally, while the quad is moving... if you overheated while riding you have other issues like thermostat or water pump, for example.

Fix the fan but start looking for the REAL issue.

Unplug the connector at bottom of radiator - it is plugged into the fan thermo-switch. Short across the two sockets in the unplugged connector - does the fan come on now?

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Put your fan on a toggle switch with an inline fuse. I did that and just turn it on when I start my bike so I know it's on
All that does is over cool the motor wich can cause problems too. Yamaha designed the raptor to run with in a given temperatures range. The clearances between moving engine parts are affected by temp.

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
Riding this weekend, bike turned off and would not start back up because it was overheated, noticed the fan wasn't turning on. So I took it home and connected the fan straight to the battery and it works. What's the next thing I should look for?
Check for a leaking head gasket also. When the head gasket leaks it causes problems inside the cooling system and affects the sensors that control the fans and warning lights.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wow I didn't realize I could be hurting my bike by doing that. I will look into wiring it back to the stock sensor. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't need the fan, normally, while the quad is moving... if you overheated while riding you have other issues like thermostat or water pump, for example.

Fix the fan but start looking for the REAL issue.

Unplug the connector at bottom of radiator - it is plugged into the fan thermo-switch. Short across the two sockets in the unplugged connector - does the fan come on now?
ok im going to try it out on sat when im off. thanks for the info and in the case the fan comes on or dosen't what's next to look for?

·
ROTM Winner
1,008 Posts
Check your relay next. If you have the service Manual it will show you where it's located and which terminals to test. If that's working fine then move on to your temp sensor. That's the most labour intensive job. Again the service manual will walk you threw it. If you don't have one just PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

·
Master of the Electron
14,518 Posts
There is no relay in the Raptor's fan circuit.

·
ROTM Winner
1,008 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts

·
ROTM Winner
1,008 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Oh man. I forgot we were talking 660.
I'm very sorry for the misguidance.
Don't even know how I got here lol... Was an accident. I have no business pretending to know about the 660.
I'll go back where I belong and pretend I know about the 700 now. :)

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
Oh man. I forgot we were talking 660.
I'm very sorry for the misguidance.
Don't even know how I got here lol... Was an accident. I have no business pretending to know about the 660.
I'll go back where I belong and pretend I know about the 700 now. :)
You'd better be................:D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts