Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike idles fine but when you give it gas it cuts out. i have messed with the jets alot and still the same thing. i bought it stock a month ago and it sputterd a little bit, but i added carb cleaner and it ran fine so i stareted to moded it. i put a prociurcit full system and got rid of the air box and jetted up to 27 pilot and 148 and 150 mains (dynojet) and it ran great for 1 hour then it stated to sputter and the plug was pich black, so i started to jet down and down and down and i still have the same problem, am i not getting anough spark or is there some other electrical problem. or is it a jetting problem? im almost back to stock on the carb and still have the same problem, the plug is black.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like a jetting problem to me. 27's are sounds kinda high for what you have done. I had them in for a bit and ended up dropping down to 25's. I have always been told that the dyno jets run bigger. So your stock mikuni jets may fow less than the dyno jets and still have the same # on them. If that makes sence. That and make sure that your air screw is adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i went from 25 to 22.5, to smaller main jets and still the same problem right now i have 22.5 and 144/148 mains with the fuel screw 3 turns out and still the same problem.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sounds like one of two things. One too much air and not enough fuel (jetting issue). You should definitely be running #25 pilots. Make sure your air/fuel screw is 3 turns out. I have gytr needles set on the third clip and I'm running 160/165 mains for 0-2000 above sea level. Second thing I would check would be your spark. Is it gaped to 0.8-0.9mm, is your coil good? Also I would make sure your fuel line is clear.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im going to check the coil and the cdi and the fuel line today, i think it is an electrical problem more then a fuel problem.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my carb is back to stock and i still have the same problems. i checked the coil and the fuel lines and still the same problems can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'd jet back to where you started, like you said, it ran great for an hour. The sputter, is it a rev limiter or a sputter that you can get past?
Do you still have the p-brake switch?
Reverse light flashing occasionally?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the coil is fine, the jets are back to stock. and it will idel fine but wont rev. when you start to give it gas it sputters, stall, what ever you call it, i think the cdi is bad.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive tried every sort of configuration of jetting and the same problem every time. it not fuel problem.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i still have a p brake whats a p brake rev limiter

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
When the parking brake is set the limiter will prevent the motor from reving.
My quad never had a limiter so I can't discribe what it looks like, but I know the switch is in the clutch perch. You should be able to search parking brake, that will tell you if your need to jump the wire together or just unplug it. For starters you might just wiggle it around and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks i will go see right now if that the problem. where would i disscconect it at?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Heres a quick way to know if its your parking brake plug. Can you start your quad while in gear holding your clutch in? If yes its not the parking brake plug.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i love firstrartor you are the shit that was the problem.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks alot and i still love you ,and im not gay, going to jet back up and kick some 450 ass.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
look for a black and a green/yellow pair of wires coming from the clutch perch, try unpluging them and see if it will still rev, if not you'll need to jump them together.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it runs great with the p brake ajusted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts