Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to ride a few toys, including a Honda 450r, Yamaha YFZ 450, and a Polaris Outlaw 500 IRS. I brought an '04 Raptor 660. I was shocked how "unfun" both 450s were. Their suspensions were nowhere near as comfortable as the 660 nor the IRS Outlaw. Power was great. The Honda was the drag champ, with both Yamahas about even. The Polaris was pleasantly nice with a super comfy ride, but outclassed by all others in power.

I had to ride these other bikes to fully understand how nice the basic 660 really is. I hope to try a 700, but can't justify twice the price of a solid 660. Maybe if a good deal comes along..... but until then I'll enjoy my cheap 660.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Were the 450's setup rider specific for motocross or something ?? Suspension setup is a personal thing if your a trail rider those other quads are setup for A class or Pro riders I'd bet they were "unfun".. :D

·
*Woo Woo!*
621 Posts
does your 660 have aftermarket suspension? My first bike was a 700 and by buddy a 660 then we both switched to 450s. The raptor 660 has to be the worst quad i have ridden. Suspension is garbage and the handling is horrible. I always thought my raptor 700 with pogo shocks was bad until Id get to take his for a ride. The upgrade from a 660 to the 700 is WELL worth it.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Weird. I think a Honda 450R is about the most 'fun' bike I've been on personally. I'ma big 660 fan, but I think that's the first I've ever heard someone compliment the 660 suspension :lol:

To each his own :beer:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Suspension is a personal thing, my setup may be perfect for some of you and may suck out loud for others.. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
i think the raptor suspension for bigger guys is better.... i weigh about 250lbs and own an 04 450r yamaha, an 03 banshee, and an 03 660r raptor... the raptor is alot more comfy for me... it doesnt handle nowhere near as good as the banshee and you cant whip it around like the 450... but for all day comfort i find it better.... just my $0.02

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All bikes were stock, with the Honda having full exhaust, intake, and re-jetting. Suspensions were all stock. Four riders ranged in weights 200-300 lbs, and heights all plus/minus 6 feet.

Our riding area included rolling dunes and tight twisty trails with woops and firebreaks. Every rider found the YFZ to be cramped. It was tiresome in the woods and woops and required much more rider input. It was almost hard to maneuver. The Honda 450 was better but everyone prefered the 660 or Polaris in the trails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts