Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bike is an 02 660 raptor with the Big 3 and a 12 tooth front sprocket (otherwise stock motor)

I Was out in Glamis this weekend and bike ran good until it just stalled and then the starter just spins now without engaging anything.

Can the starter One way just go out like that and cause that issue? or did i break something else?!!

I never had any previous issues before with the starter clutch. started fine every time until now all of a sudden now it just spins.

Tried pull starting and it still wont run.

Anyone know how to trouble shoot whats wrong? if its the starter clutch or something else?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Bike is an 02 660 raptor with the Big 3 and a 12 tooth front sprocket (otherwise stock motor)

I Was out in Glamis this weekend and bike ran good until it just stalled and then the starter just spins now without engaging anything.

Can the starter One way just go out like that and cause that issue? or did i break something else?!!

I never had any previous issues before with the starter clutch. started fine every time until now all of a sudden now it just spins.

Anyone know how to trouble shoot whats wrong? if its the starter clutch or something else?

Thanks in advance!!

Were you able to pull start the bike?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yeah forgot to say it wont pull start either. tried over and over with no success in pull starting.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
If the bike won't pull start and the starter will spin over freely there are lots of guesses but until you remove the left cover and see if the one way let go and metal got into the stator you won't know what the real problem is. I guess since the starter won't turn the motor you can't check for spark at the plug. Do you know if the motor will turn over when you put the bike in gear and pull it or if the bike is off the ground and you spin the rear wheels while it's in gear? Can you describe any noise you heard when the bike shut off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the bike won't pull start and the starter will spin over freely there are lots of guesses but until you remove the left cover and see if the one way let go and metal got into the stator you won't know what the real problem is. I guess since the starter won't turn the motor you can't check for spark at the plug. Do you know if the motor will turn over when you put the bike in gear and pull it or if the bike is off the ground and you spin the rear wheels while it's in gear? Can you describe any noise you heard when the bike shut off.
it didnt make any noise really when it shut off. it just died. well i guess it sounded like when the one way kicks back when trying to start it. but i just assumed it was because i stalled it.

doesnt sound like anythings happening when i try to pull start it. except for the noise of the carbs opening. but nothing like its trying to fire at all.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I'm going to guess you sheared the crankshaft woodruff key and the flywheel is spinning free. This is the only thing that would explain both issues. Otherwise you have two unrelated problems - a bad one-way AND some problem that prevents the engine from running... not too likely that both would occur at the same time.

When attempting to pull start, do you feel compression?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to guess you sheared the crankshaft woodruff key and the flywheel is spinning free. This is the only thing that would explain both issues. Otherwise you have two unrelated problems - a bad one-way AND some problem that prevents the engine from running... not too likely that both would occur at the same time.

When attempting to pull start, do you feel compression?
wow that doesnt sound good.. is it just as simple as changing a new woodruff key?

when pull starting the motor makes noise when i give it gas but not like it wants to start or anything..

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I mean, when you pull, then drop the clutch, does the bike try to slow down from compression, or does the speed remain the same while the engine turns over.

The woodruff key is simply a small piece of steel (a key) that sits in a slot between the crankshaft and flywheel to hold them together in proper time.

You just pull the left side cover, pull the flywheel, replace the key, flywheel and cover... an hour job.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean, when you pull, then drop the clutch, does the bike try to slow down from compression, or does the speed remain the same while the engine turns over.

The woodruff key is simply a small piece of steel (a key) that sits in a slot between the crankshaft and flywheel to hold them together in proper time.

You just pull the left side cover, pull the flywheel, replace the key, flywheel and cover... an hour job.
the bike didnt seem to slow down much when i popped the clutch.

hope its just the woodruff key then.. is that a common problem? i wasnt even doing anything special. just barely coasting when it happened.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
It is not common, but has been seen here... it can shear from something as simple as a backfire - causing a sudden change in crankshaft velocity...

But, you should check to see that the engine is turning over with compression... pull the crankshaft cover (round plug in the center of the left side cover) and turn the engine ccw with a socket... as you turn, you should feel compression build every other full turn. If not, then you may have more serious problems. If, when trying to turn CCW, the crankshaft nut is loose, then it most likely IS the key...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just had this same thing happen

This just happened to me, only on a Polaris Predator 500. I bought it used from a guy for very cheap and he tried and tried to get it to start but no go.

Rather than force issues, I pulled the cover and found a ton of loose metal fragments, turns out that the one-way clutch gave up and came apart. In so doing, it dropped lots of pieces into the lower case,, and it disallowed the atv to be pull started simply because now the clutch could no longer properly disengage and that keeps the engine from spinning freely.

Mine apparently ran for quite awhile before it shut down.

If yours broke like mine did, you do NOT want to start your atv because if it does kick over, it will grind up any starter clutch pieces horribly...of course this assumes this same issue as mine.

I will confess this...because I was not married to the Polaris financially, I simply replaced the starter clutch assy, and meticulously cleaned out the lower case with air and magnets, then changed the oil, and it has been running ever since. I know, I know...if I was in it big, probably would have split cases.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is not common, but has been seen here... it can shear from something as simple as a backfire - causing a sudden change in crankshaft velocity...

But, you should check to see that the engine is turning over with compression... pull the crankshaft cover (round plug in the center of the left side cover) and turn the engine ccw with a socket... as you turn, you should feel compression build every other full turn. If not, then you may have more serious problems. If, when trying to turn CCW, the crankshaft nut is loose, then it most likely IS the key...
it seems to have compression when turned manually. i did that out in the dunes and it seemed to have compression. i did stall it pretty bad when it died. could that have trashed the woodruff key?

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
It's possible - easy to check. Pull the crank inspection cover, push the start button... do you see the flywheel turning but not the flywheel nut? Sheared key.

Does the starter crank, but the flywheel doesn't? Bad one-way or sheared one-way mounting bolts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
:(

Well its worse than i thought.. what happened is the timing chain let go..

And the starter clutch is bad, and the 52 tooth gear is bad.. And i bent an intake valve (just one)

And my wallet is going to be empty.. !!

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Eek... well it was several unrelated issues (although one may have caused the others). Good luck and I hope you can keep it cheap!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eek... well it was several unrelated issues (although one may have caused the others). Good luck and I hope you can keep it cheap!
i'm trying to.. starter clutch didnt really go all the way but there are marks on the gear so i figured i should change it.

got then clutch, gear, gaskets and bolts for 229.

timing chain OEM yamaha was 30 bucks.

valve is 20 bucks.

and since i've never done this before someone i know is installing all of it for 200 bucks..

not sure if thats a good price but it didnt seem too unreasonable. he also cleaned my carbs.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I'd say $200 for that labor is very fair, as long as he knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd say $200 for that labor is very fair, as long as he knows what he's doing.
cool. just wanted to make sure i wasnt getting burned. Yeah he knows what he's doing. he cleaned the carbs and got another bike i had running for 100 bucks. not too bad i guess i just didnt want to mess with this bike right now.

just want it to run!!

Thanks for all of your help!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts