Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: I pulled my bike out today after it has been sitting for about 2 weeks. I got it started and it was idling funny. Idling low and sputtering. It stalls as soon as I give it gas. It only starts if I have the choke wide open. One time I was able to get the bike to rev up and when it did it did not rev smoothly and once it got to the top of the r's it was backfiring real bad to the point it was actually shooting flames out of the pipe. I thought it might have been because it was a little cold and had been sitting so I got it to start again and just let it idle to try to warm it up. It would idle (still idling roughly) for about 4-5 minutes then stall. I tried adjusting the idle screw and it did nothing. I thought maybe my air filter was to dirty so I took it off and still did the same exact thing. Is this a issue with my carbs? If it helps it is a 2005 660 with full Trinity exhaust, Pro Designs open air box with K&N filter, DynoJet jet kit, and the Trinity quiet core. I have had issues with my needles sticking before and have removed my carbs twice had them tore down and completely cleaned out and the back ran great afterwards. I'm not having the same exact issue has I did when the needles were sticking but similar. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry I ment to mention that but yes it has been removed and block off plates installed

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
I'm assuming bike was running 100% when it was last ridden.

Any fuel leaking out the overflows?
-Could be float problem

Carb boots seated on the intake and carb bodies well? No tears/holes?
-Sucking in air will do what you're experiencing

Has the temp dropped dramatically in the last 2 weeks since it was ridden? Like 55 deg to 25?
-One or more aspect of the jetting could have been lean and the cold brought out the problem

When was the last time the valve lash was checked?
-Sitting and getting cold could have brought out a tight set of intake valves

Sure you've got gas? Tried switching over to reserve? Gas is still good?
-I know it's elementary, but most of us have had this happen.

Check spark plug for consistency
-could be intermittent and need new plug or just to check connections

There's more and you've probably checked most of those but it's a start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the help. I have check most of that stuff and all of it is good. no gas out of bowls, no drop in temp, spark plug only has 2 two hour rides on it (i know could still go bad though so I'll check it). I think its either my diaphrams in my carbs or a valve issue. I'm going to pull the carbs and tear them down again and see how everything looks.

Thanks for your insight

·
Registered
10 Posts
While your in the carbs check the floats good. I would pull a plug out and see what it looks like. Also i'm sure you have but i would check to make sure fuel is flowing to the carbs freely. good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so I talked to a few ppl and they told me it sounds like my valves need to be adjusted. Can anyone give me a quick run down on how to go about doing a valve adjustment. If it helps I am very mechanically inclined. I just havent done much work other then bolt on's to my bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:3question:

ok here's an update. I finally got around to adjusting my valves today. A lot easier then I thought it would be. Thanks for the link guys! Anyways NEW PROBLEM!

After adjusting the valves today I fired the bike up and it ran great, however once I started the bike since it was like 25 degrees today and it wasnt ran for over a month I let warm up while I'll cleaned up all my tools and all. After the bike running for about 10 - 15 minutes (if even that long) I went to take it for a ride to see how it ran. Thats when I noticed that both my head pipes were glowing red hot! They had to be over 1000 degrees hot they were glowing so red!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
its common with after market exhaust,,the mild steel ones anyways..if its never done this before on this pipe your running lean. sounded like it when you stated it ran good with the choke..If the temp changes enough it could effect your jetting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok that makes sense because before my bike stop running it was running rich. so since I was already in there adjusting my valves I adjusted my idle air screw on my carbs. I guess I turned it to much because my exhaust as never started glowing red before and I've had the trinity exhaust and jet kit on it since I bought the bike over a year ago.

Thanks for the fast reply!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.