Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about painting my stock silver wheels black, like the newer models. Although I read in a Dirtwheels magazine that the person writing the piece didn't like black wheels b/c they make the quad look smaller and compact. What kind of opinions are out there. Should I paint the wheels or not???

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Regardless of your aesthetic choice, many who have painted the wheels and even those who have powdercoated them have had had issues with the durability of the finish.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Painted wheels are a pain to keep painted lol. I have front wheels that are black from RMATV and they hold up better then the rears that are spray painted but I can always just spray the bad spot but IDK lol its not a show quad...

Color wise the Black looks great IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
So far my black spray painted fronts are holding up pretty well, I'm pleasantly surprised. I like the look. I got lazy when it came to doing the backs though, lol.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I also painted my wheels black with rustoleum. I sanded them before hand to rough up the surface a bit, thought it would make it stick better. I do all woods riding so they get banged up and chip pretty easy around the edges, but no peeling yet after 2 years.

·
Registered
749 Posts
like you, i'm riding in PA also. my friend's stock black raptor 350 wheels were so chipped up around the edges (brand new quad, one season of riding) that he switched them to stock silver yamaha rims.

i would do what dwally did since he said he hasn't had any peeling, but i don't know how you'll get around the outside of the rims not chipping in woods riding

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You can always leave the outer lip of the wheel the stock aluminum finish since that's what it will end up as after a few rides anyways but it will look better. I hate the silver wheels on my 660 and am waiting to get some aftermarkets. Maybe some ITP's like 06raptorgirl's :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
that's a good idea yamahablue.....especially since the outer lip ends up silver anyway! and by the way, my ITP's have held up great in the PA trails

1 - 10 of 10 Posts