Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a blaster sitting around with a bad engine. instead of rebuilding it and only having 15 hp (or whatever they make) i was thinking of buying a 250f engine (not sure what manufacturer) and trying to make it fit. the only thing that is stopping me is, i dont know how to weld. im sure the ability to weld proficiently is a necessity and without knowing how it would be pointless to attempt. but its just sitting there, ya know. ive never done a swap of any kind so this is new to me. i assume the only thing that would need welding would be the motor mounts, oil reservoir, radiator and radiator overflow, right? i def dont wanna bite off more than i can chew, am i? i could probably buy another bike for what i would have tied up in the blaster. i read around on blasterforum.com and it looked like most people were using 250 2 stroke motors or 2 stroke 85's. an 85 is out of the question. i really dont want a stroke engine. having to mix oil and all that is just inconvenient. ive also thought about a 450 engine but thats kinda overkill and the maintenance required is kind of a joke. are 250f's as needy? has anyone done an engine swap on a blaster? any advice/input/dont do this cause youll hate yourself talk would be appreciated

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the link. that bike looks really good. anybody else?

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I think that it would be amazing. I would get it, but I dont think it would handle very good. I could get alot of stuff for my 350 for the price of that Blaster/CR.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with a longer swinger, extended arms and axle it probably wouldnt be bad. but its still a 2 stroke. i hate mixing gas and replacing rings. blah. but they sure do smell good

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
But with a stock Blaster you dont have to mix gas:lol: What year is your Blaster? I agree, it wouldnt be too bad if it had a swinger, axle, a-arms and aftrmrkt shocks. You would end up spending ALOT of money to make it comfortable to ride.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mine is a 2001. i did the oil block off so i had to mix gas. every single tank. yeah it would take a lot of money. if i could find someone that was giving away 250 2 or 4 stroke i would already be stuffing it in the frame and then would only need arms, axle and swingarm.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
What about a CR500R?? Or a QuadZilla motor. There are Blaster, LT250R and TRX250R motors for sale all over my area.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i really just dont want a 2 stroke. i like the power delivery of a 4 stroke for my type of riding. if i were building this bike for drag racing i would be looking for a 2 stroke engine. i think a 250f would be the perfect engine for this build. perhaps one of the big manuf. will see this thread and give me what i want. 250 size bike with a 250f engine and suspension geometry that would piss off a 450 rider.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I have never sat on a Blaster. I think it would be too small for me. LSR does make a frame for TRX250R parts, and a 450 or 426 motor.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i really just dont want a 2 stroke. i like the power delivery of a 4 stroke for my type of riding. if i were building this bike for drag racing i would be looking for a 2 stroke engine. i think a 250f would be the perfect engine for this build. perhaps one of the big manuf. will see this thread and give me what i want. 250 size bike with a 250f engine and suspension geometry that would piss off a 450 rider.
hey your from ky right? i seen a blaster with a gs550 motor on it on craigslist out there for like 500 or 800 bucks still needed work but it would be a good starting point ill see if i can find it again

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey your from ky right? i seen a blaster with a gs550 motor on it on craigslist out there for like 500 or 800 bucks still needed work but it would be a good starting point ill see if i can find it again
yep. northern kentucky

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
what makes you say that MD?
Well I agree with you, you're probably getting in over your head. The yz250f is a racing four stroke engine and it requires a good bit of maintenance too. The factory says a top end rebuild every 40 hours or so, and that's a bit extreme. I'd expect it to last about 80-100 hours before you need a new piston which is similar to what I'd expect out of a blaster. The yz250f has an expensive valve train that you're going to be maintaining too though, and it needs to have regular valve adjustments for those titanium valves.

You'll get more hp with the swap, I won't lie to you there. But quite frankly I don't think it's worth the hassle involved in getting that motor lined up just right and mounted in (assuming it drops in without frame modifications) and getting the electronics swapped over. A friend of mine did a yz250 (the 2 stroke) swap in his blaster and it runs good, just took him a very long time to get it going and get all of the kinks and electrical issues ironed out. But it's still in a blaster chassis, and it's still not terribly fast. He rides his LTZ400 all the time instead.

I can certainly understand your desire to do the swap, and I don't mean to be negative about it. It's just been my (limited experience) that the engine swaps don't always turn out as nice as you'd like and always end up being more trouble than you thought. Sometimes they're more than worth the trouble, and end up being spectacular. But it didn't sound to me like you were terribly hung up on getting more power as you were about not spending a lot to redo an already low power engine. The 300ex is much more reliable, is more comfortable and handles better than a blaster. One can argue it's roughly the same speed as a blaster, though don't be surprised if in a best of 3 race the blaster wins twice and I'm sure we have some members who have waxed every one they've come across (I wouldn't be surprised and I'd believe them). A warrior or 400ex might fit your bill as well for not much more cash.

Anyway, my point is that I think you'd be happier with a four stroke atv that meets your needs, rather than trying to make the blaster fit that mold.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for ruining my dream MD:( :lol: thanks for giving me your opinion. I think you've talked me out of it. I guess it would make more sense to buy another quad that hasn't been pieced together and would be reliable. 400ex's go for prestty cheap around here...

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i really dont wanna put anymore money into it. i really doubt ill ever sell it but if i did i wouldnt get close to what i have in it. i bought it for $1900 and have since put a little over $2k in it. but if the engine decideds to go.... thats another story :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts