Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically I blew up my engine due to lack of oil.. this was cause by a bad ring and I didnt check it frequently enough and now Im payin for it.. The engine had around 90hours on it...
The guy I took it too said that everything is destroyed... Crank,Piston,Cylinder & Valves

So heres my question to you expierenced people.. Whats the smartest and or cheapest route to go
Replace all the parts with stock OEM
Buy a big bore stroker kit

From what I found out so far.. Replacing everything with stock parts is going to be super expensive..

The bore and stroker kit is a 778cc kit and comes with new piston,cylinder, +5mm crank and gaskets for $910.. how reliable are these stroker bore kits?

The type of Riding I do is 80% trails with 20% MX track riding

Any help here would be appreciated because Im new to the ATV realm and these new Sport Quads..
Also a side note This atv is completely stock its an 07 Special Edition 700 and I dont even have the big three yet..
so what would u do in this situation?

-Thanks in advance

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
Buy a good used engine and start from there, cause if you ran it out of oil chances are the transmission is junk too! It all uses the same oil.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
If you ran the engine completely out of oil, you're going to need to replace just about every bearing in there too.

If you were happy with the atv before the problem in terms of power, I would buy a used engine that is stock and complete and simply swap it out. I would expect the rebuild you're facing to cost two or three times as much as a used stock engine will. Even if you rebuilt it you'd still be choking the power with a stock exhaust and intake, adding as much as a thousand dollars more to the build.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buy a good used engine and start from there, cause if you ran it out of oil chances are the transmission is junk too! It all uses the same oil.
I forgot that it is a wet clutch Dur.. ugh My guy doin the engine work for me is gonna tell me if the transmission got damaged as well.. I mean I kept oil in it but sometimes it might have been run low untill it blowed.. It was goin thru a quart of oil every two rides or so about 5hours of ride time

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
You may even consider parting out whats left of your 09 and just buy a complete used quad. That will save you tons in labor and headachs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive been looking on ebay and found stock motors for around 1400-1800..

I know people have done R6 and R1 motor conversions on these things..
Those motors are like 600-800 on ebay..

Would this be a good idea? how much extra crap is needed to do this conversion? cause i know its not as simple as just swapping the motors

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts

Would this be a good idea? how much extra crap is needed to do this conversion? cause i know its not as simple as just swapping the motors
Probably not a good idea if your gonna keep trail riding. Where is Denver NC?

·
Registered
177 Posts

Dont mean to sound mean here but if you couldnt even maintain what you have well enough to just keep oil in it............... DONT EVEN CONSIDER A CONVERSION, Its WAY over your head !!
Just go out and buy a good used motor , drop it in , and GO RIDE !!!

You said it yourself.........Your a trail rider..........go trail ride.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably not a good idea if your gonna keep trail riding. Where is Denver NC?
about 45mins from Charlotte..

And I know But I wont be doing the fabrication if I were to do the conversion.. Im just looking for the cheapest route and riding season is around the corner

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Part out whats left of your 09 for 2k, buy another for 4k and ride.
Im just gonna grab the used engine and go that way.. My mechanic is a friend of my dads.. so hes only chargin me like $30 an hour for labor.. my dad is an auto mechanic he doesnt know much about atv's and dirtbikes...

So I guess I got some insight from everyone.. So idk how this forum works yet but Mods if u wanna close the thread.. feel free and thanks guys for the help

·
Registered
863 Posts
If your transmission turns out to be ok, i would by the 778 kit. get all new bearings for the inside of the motor. clean both cases and transmission very good. and start there. hit up bo white for some head work,he may beable to save your head and give you a good port and bigger valves. check around for a used complete aftermarket exhaust and PC3. This is just what i personally would do. because these used motors on ebay for 1400-1800,you dont really know how many hours are on it or if anything is wrong with it. i would rather build my own and know what i have,this being said = cheaper in the long run i feel. JMO. I would not encourage a part out just because you blew up your motor,that would just be stupid. But whatever you decide keep your oild checked and changed this time. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts