Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here WAS the problem, my raptor was hard starting, wouldn't idle worth a darn, and had some power issues.
Here's what I did: replaced some parts in the carbs (sticky float needles/seats) - helped idle, adjusted my valves...one exhaust had no gap, two intake had no gap. After adjusting now starts puurrrrfect, idles like a dream and has great throttle response, however over about three quarter throttle it blows flames out the back like I poured fuel directly into the pipe and lit it. What am I missing?????

·
Registered
204 Posts
No there is a rev limiter no matter even if it's in nuetral. It could be from overloading... Does it pop when the fire shoots out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I'm just looking into it too much and it is a rev limiter.
As far as too rich, the plug looks great and that's the best guage that I have of the air/fuel ratio.

I do have one other question if someone knows...What is the best way to test the compression, I have a really good compression tester but I'm only getting about 50 SPI whether I crank it over with the starter or crank it over by hand with a ratchet on the end of the crank.
This is obviously way low and should be about 180 according to the book. Is the compression release kicking in and if so is there a way to keep it from kicking in for testing, or is it just time for a new top end?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes Phucker I have. It wasn't on an atv. I was asking so I would fine out a little more in detail of what It could be....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, by the way I believe it was popping but I was in large garage so with the echo from the engine and the fact that it's a raptor it was hard to tell.

·
Registered
441 Posts
phucker said:
668rap said:
Does it pop when the fire shoots out?
have you ever seen fire shoot out of an exhaust system quietly?

it would seem you are running way to rich check the carbs and the valves
:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts