Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2006 raptor 700r had blown base gasket. Had coolent all in the motor. Rebuilt the water pump. Flushed it out with diesel a few times. It has a JE 11:1 high compression piston, after market cam, motorworks FMI , DMC comp duel exhaust. I replaced couple months ago with OEM base and head gasket... It already blown . 馃槼. Was running 91 zero octane gas. Also shooting out coolant out of radiator and over flow shooting out coolant. Has also new thermostat OEM.

Premium Member
Did you ensure the cylinder and head were both flat? Did you re-use the head bolts, if so what did you torque them to?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T web2007 thank you for chiming in. I did use old studs and bolts. I used an OEM head gasket also need check if any warping has happened. Do you think the 11:1 JE compression piston is to much it is standard bore... ive seen big bore high compression kits out there but seems there's no problems. I have burning using 91 zero ethanol . Is that to low octane?

Premium Member
T web2007 thank you for chiming in. I did use old studs and bolts. I used an OEM head gasket also need check if any warping has happened. Do you think the 11:1 JE compression piston is to much it is standard bore... ive seen big bore high compression kits out there but seems there's no problems. I have burning using 91 zero ethanol . Is that to low octane?
That fuel is fine for that compression. I use only oem head gaskets on stock bore regardless of compression. I would take the head and cylinder off, surface both, and re-assemble with new oem gasket and either new head bolts or arp head studs to ensure no more issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That fuel is fine for that compression. I use only oem head gaskets on stock bore regardless of compression. I would take the head and cylinder off, surface both, and re-assemble with new oem gasket and either new head bolts or arp head studs to ensure no more issues.
I ordered kibblewhite studs and bolts , ordered cometic this time and have machine shop going to surface cylinder and head. Is this common?

Premium Member
I ordered kibblewhite studs and bolts , ordered cometic this time and have machine shop going to surface cylinder and head. Is this common?
Get an oem gasket, toss the cometic in the trash.
In my opinion, anytime the head comes off it needs to be surfaced, or at least checked for flatness.

Registered
2001 Yamaha Raptor 660R
Get an oem gasket, toss the cometic in the trash.
In my opinion, anytime the head comes off it needs to be surfaced, or at least checked for flatness.
my 660 has a warp limit of .002" before machining is required. cylinder was decked by the person I bought it from with the piston kit, also, used windrosa gasket kit. holding up good now with 50 hrs since rebuild.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my 660 has a warp limit of .002" before machining is required. cylinder was decked by the person I bought it from with the piston kit, also, used windrosa gasket kit. holding up good now with 50 hrs since rebuild.
Crosbys660 thanks for sharing going check for any warping

1 - 8 of 8 Posts