Raptor Forum banner

Blowing TONS of white smoke!

28K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  QuadManiac 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I just finished rebuilding my 03 raptor 660. I replaced the crank, every bearing and seal and got all new valves, valve guides and seals in the motor. The only thing i didnt do was a new piston/rings :wow::mad:
Upon start up it wont smoke for about 3 seconds then it just blows out producing huge clouds of thick white smoke. The guy at my local dealer said it most likely is piston/rings. What do you guys think?

#2 ·
White smoke = coolant

Sounds like you messed up the head gasket.

#3 ·
It just doesnt make sense to me though. I finished up the motor and it ran fine and no smoke what so ever. Then i started it last week and havent touched it since. My coolant level isnt going down either.

#7 ·
white smoke = coolant, black = gas, white smoke with a slight blueish tint = oil. Even thou you didn't replace your rings did you hone the cylinder? If not then your rings might not be seated making it smoke. Rings are dirt cheap I would've atleast replaced them during rebuild. You might have put to much oil in it too, It calls for like 2.06 qts warm I think, which is very important or it will smoke. I don't think it could be your valve seals but its possilbe.

#8 ·
No I didnt hone the cylinder. I was in kind of a hurry to finish up but either way I have the time to fix it now. Ill check the oil tomorrow. If theres too much oil will it smoke alot?? I doubt its my valve seal, they are brand new. Maybe Ill just order a piston/rings and have my local dealer install and service it for me. That way both problems are fixed if its that.

#9 ·
Sounds like you're leanin toward an oil issue now? Is it blue smoke or white smoke? Here is a pic of my 01 burning lots of oil. In my case the cause was partly worn rings and mostly worn valve seals. Anyway, here's the pic. If your smoke looks like this, it's probably oil related.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.