Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a blown motor and was wondering if there's anyway i could tell if it was safe to use some of the parts i found. I was told the motor blew due to lack of oil. Upon looking at it more closely in my garage i noticed that one side of the decomp mechanism was broke. The piston moved freely before i took the cylinder off...So it didnt seize up. I bought the motor with out the clutch side components and without the valve cover :( who seperates those anyway! but whatever. There's a little rust on the cam and springs. I know so far it had a wiseco piston, HR cam and springs, HR con rod. Will a stroker crank have any identifying marks on it?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
did you buy the cam cover? it is a matched set? are the journals for the cam scuffed? how much rust is in transmission? that engine looks like it has seen some weather open. you will need to completly disassemble the engine for a complete inspection. Post pics on the parts you would like to use.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Where did you buy the engine, maybe they still have the valve cover, you will need it to use the head................

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
It looks like a Wiseco 11:1 piston. If it is then it is a stock stroke crank. No identifying marks on the crank but if you compare the lower rod pit to another crank you can tell if it is a stroker. But the 11:1 wiseco only fits the stock stroke HR cranks.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you buy the cam cover? it is a matched set? are the journals for the cam scuffed? how much rust is in transmission? that engine looks like it has seen some weather open. you will need to completly disassemble the engine for a complete inspection. Post pics on the parts you would like to use.
Yes i also believe it was exposed to some weather. The only parts i want to use is the cam,springs,and connecting rod. Maybe crank if it's a stroker.

Where did you buy the engine, maybe they still have the valve cover, you will need it to use the head................
Cover is long gone.I bought this motor off the same guy i got my extra raptor chassis from. I asked him that as soon as i saw the motor. I only paid 100 for what u see tho. i was told tranny works fine.

It looks like a Wiseco 11:1 piston. If it is then it is a stock stroke crank. No identifying marks on the crank but if you compare the lower rod pit to another crank you can tell if it is a stroker. But the 11:1 wiseco only fits the stock stroke HR cranks.
It is a wiseco piston, but I thought wiseco makes a stroker piston too? And if you look closely you can see a small ring around the top of the piston which leads me to believe that this is already a 102mm piston. And the combustion chamber hasnt been machined to match up with the cylinder. I could be wrong tho. This is the first motor I've ever taken apart and expected closely. Any tips and techniques that help with this process are always appreciated.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I have never seen weisco make a stroker piston but I could be wrong. I know JE and CP are the ones that make them normally. If you still have a stock rod I would run the HR crank. If you measure the piston that will tell you the size. You don't normally machine the combustion chamber to match the piston though.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Remove the piston from the rod, scub the top of the piston using a wire brush, there should be a number on the top. This will tell you what you have. Pull the lower cases apart, remove the crank, you will want to have machine shop check the bearings on the crank. while you go the machine shop take the cam with you, from the looks of the valve springs, the cam is not stock guessing from the picture it is a hot cam. They should be able to polish the cam journals.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never seen weisco make a stroker piston but I could be wrong. I know JE and CP are the ones that make them normally. If you still have a stock rod I would run the HR crank. If you measure the piston that will tell you the size. You don't normally machine the combustion chamber to match the piston though.
You are correct i was looking at this picture and thought that it was a wiseco piston but its not.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hot-...ors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0d038a84

Remove the piston from the rod, scub the top of the piston using a wire brush, there should be a number on the top. This will tell you what you have. Pull the lower cases apart, remove the crank, you will want to have machine shop check the bearings on the crank. while you go the machine shop take the cam with you, from the looks of the valve springs, the cam is not stock guessing from the picture it is a hot cam. They should be able to polish the cam journals.
Yes it's a hot cams and im thinking it's a stg2. I used some oxy clean and a soft rag to clean it up a lil and it doesn't look to bad. I'll be taking the motor apart later today. And I'll take pics of everything when i do.
Here's some pics of the cam after i cleaned it up a little.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No not really. Even tho i get called a hoarder by the ol'lady at least once a week I think i'm going to hang on to it just in case i tear something up. But Make an offer. I'm constantly changing my mind and ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts