Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i bought a 02 a month ago and put a one way clutch in it and i have gotten all the oil leaks stopped and new spark plug cleaned the carbs new air filter every thing. everything is stock. now my question is i havent actually taken it out and rode it like on the trails but at my shop i have driven it around there. when im mid throttle first gear does fine go into second and get back into it and it wants to bog and sputter alil. like its lacking power in second. could this be the carbs not tunned just right? i some times get alil back fire but not bad. any ideas, im going this weekend to really try it out for the first time so we will see.

·
Registered
881 Posts
hey guys, i bought a 02 a month ago and put a one way clutch in it and i have gotten all the oil leaks stopped and new spark plug cleaned the carbs new air filter every thing. everything is stock. now my question is i havent actually taken it out and rode it like on the trails but at my shop i have driven it around there. when im mid throttle first gear does fine go into second and get back into it and it wants to bog and sputter alil. like its lacking power in second. could this be the carbs not tunned just right? i some times get alil back fire but not bad. any ideas, im going this weekend to really try it out for the first time so we will see.
How did u clean the carbs, did u take them apart and clean them or did u run some Carb cleaner thru it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i took them apart three times and then i had one of the guys i work with, hes a mechanic and he cleaned it and it started running right, but it started acting like this after i washed it one day.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Thats kinda strange. The only thing i can think of is there is a rubber plug on the spark plug wire that covers the hole in the head cover. If you dont have it down in there good so it stops the water from going in it will ground out and run crappy. I have had it happen a few times when going through big puddles but it usually clears up pretty fast after the water burns out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right after i washed it, it really ran like crap and it did have water down there. but i washed it a week ago, but when im in second, well should say i notice it really in second some time if i give it mid gas just right it will bog and pick up bog pick up now if i get on into it, it will bog but when i start picking up speed it will come alive then. its like a mid range bog.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Gotta be jetting i would think. Try adjusting your needles. =)

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
At what throttle position is this bog occurring? This will tell you what circuit in the carb needs attention.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
say if im easy taking off and just do first gear easy and go into second light to mid throttle it will stutter like the fourwheeler will jerk, now if i go into it 3/4 to full, just like all of a sudden pin the throttle if will fall on its face then it will catch up and come alive. this past sat i was latching it from a stop and first go into second it seemed a little week and coming out of second it would sometimes back fire a little but i think that was because i was holding a little to long, not sure, but i was giving it full throttle threw second, third and some of fourth. but just cruisin light to mid throttle it wants to stutter like its choking or cuts out.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Okay, try opening up screws about 1/2 turn each (CCW) and raise the needles (lower the clips on the needles) by one position - see if that improves things at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
now to make sure i understand. you are talking about turning the two screws on the bottom side of the carbs, ( one screw on each carb)? when i cleaned the carbs one of those times i had taken the little needle screws out but had forgotten how many turn. but what i did was turned them all the way in and backed them out one complete turn a piece. and the second part about raising the needles? i know the carbs but im just trying to picture it

·
Registered
881 Posts
now to make sure i understand. you are talking about turning the two screws on the bottom side of the carbs, ( one screw on each carb)? when i cleaned the carbs one of those times i had taken the little needle screws out but had forgotten how many turn. but what i did was turned them all the way in and backed them out one complete turn a piece. and the second part about raising the needles? i know the carbs but im just trying to picture it
Yeah your running lean with the fuel screws only out 1 turn. I'd start by tighening them back down then backing them out 2.5 turns first before adjusting the needles.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Ah HAH! Okay, start with the fuel screws out at about 2 to 2.5 turns each - and see how many of your problems have gone away.

THen check to see where (in throttle position) any issues occur - screws control idle to 1/4, needles 1/4 to 3/4 and mains 3/4 to wide open - this will tell you which needs to be tweaked further.

For more info, look at 'carbs 101' at top of the 660 modifications section and/or download the manual from the top of this (660 maintenance) section.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well guys I didnt get to run it this past weekend. We have had some crazy weather in my area, but! I adjusted the needles out to two and it seemed to help a little so I adjusted out to two and a half and it took the stuttering and bogging out of it, but I was still getting some backfiring when i would double rev it in netural, so i went out to three to see what it would do, and it got rid of the backfiring and it runs pretty good! i may back it up to 2 3/4 because when it is cold start I have to give a litle throttle to get it to fire but warms up fine. but I think im definitly in the ball park now! thanks alot hope I get some sand time this weekend if the weather permits

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well it got rid up all that at 2.5, but when in netural i could rev it twice real fast and id get alil backfire then but i went to 3 and it doesnt do it at all now.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
well it got rid up all that at 2.5, but when in netural i could rev it twice real fast and id get alil backfire then but i went to 3 and it doesnt do it at all now.
Try lifting the needles one notch each..............

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i finally got to run it for this first time this weekend! done good. nothing broke! the fourwheeler doest bog anymore just it seems to be missing some low to mid range. and one thing i noticed is my fan never kicked on, does it rarely kick on? but i was happy for my first time on it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts