Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to take my new to me 2003 660R out to the trails to ride it yesterday. It ran real good all day except toward the end of our day. It started and ran fine for about 5 mintues while riding then it seemed to bog down and die. After it died it would have to sit for a few minutes before it would start again, it really seemed like the key was off after it would die but the key was on and had no power. I also noticed that the carb overflow hoses were leaking a lot of gas out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? I noticed it they were still leaking gas when the fuel petcock was turned off so I clamped the hose and all of the leaking stopped but when I unclamp it it seems to start again.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I am not a master technician, but if your bogging out and dieing, I would check maybe the fuel filter first, and then if your carbs are full and the overflow tubes are purging fuel then you may havea clogged line somewhere with fuel delivery??

Dont know much about these machines as I am new to them myself. But if I think of it like a car, that sounds like classic places to look...

I know that someone will chime in with more experience..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I finally got to take my new to me 2003 660R out to the trails to ride it yesterday. It ran real good all day except toward the end of our day. It started and ran fine for about 5 mintues while riding then it seemed to bog down and die. After it died it would have to sit for a few minutes before it would start again, it really seemed like the key was off after it would die but the key was on and had no power. I also noticed that the carb overflow hoses were leaking a lot of gas out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? I noticed it they were still leaking gas when the fuel petcock was turned off so I clamped the hose and all of the leaking stopped but when I unclamp it it seems to start again.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Two things come to mind, an inoperative petcock and dirty carbs, start by cleaning the carbs thoroughly and pay attention to the needel and seat, and also the float levels that control the fuel hieght in the carbs........:D :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have cleaned the carbs throughly and it started to run a lot better. I will check the petcock. What would cause to it act like there is no electrical power when it stalls or dies out? If it sits for a minute or two it will fire right back up

·
Registered
298 Posts
My petcock did the same thing...There is a 3 hole washer "packing" that gets cracked and causes it to fail.

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
If it is leaking out the carbs, regardless of a petcock problem, the float valve in the carb is leaking...

The petcock may be leaking or have other issues also - BUT, again, if a carb is leaking IT (float valve) is the primary problem and needs to be addressed. Usually, if the float valve is leaking, the rest of both carbe are dirty/plugging up too, so a thorough cleaning, followed by a test of the float valves is in order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How would i go about testing the float valves ??? I cleaned the carb really well twice and it ran very well and all of a sudden it started bogging and then shutting down ? I know there is a problem with the petcock but im really just worried about the running of the motor.:mad: Thanks to everyone whom has helped

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.