Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i have a 2003 raptor 660. I took it for the 2nd ride this year yesterday. I noticed that while accelerating it bogs out or stalls for a split second then takes off like a bat out of hell. The first ride of the year i took it on i didnt notice but i was just slowly cruising around with the wife and kids. Do the carbs need to be cleaned? It sat all winter so i dont know if i need to drain the gas and clean the carbs or what? Thanks.

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
That's what i would do clean the carbs.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Pilot jets are plugging up - carb cleaning time.

When storing the bike, close the petcock and idle engine till it dies... they won't plug up any more.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey i have a 2003 raptor 660. I took it for the 2nd ride this year yesterday. I noticed that while accelerating it bogs out or stalls for a split second then takes off like a bat out of hell. The first ride of the year i took it on i didnt notice but i was just slowly cruising around with the wife and kids. Do the carbs need to be cleaned? It sat all winter so i dont know if i need to drain the gas and clean the carbs or what? Thanks.
Anytime a bike sits for more then about 3 weeks with fuel in the carbs, you risk the chance that the carbs can gum up and cause problems......Especially in hot climates............

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks a lot guys. I pulled the carbs off yesterday and cleaned them out. The jets were definitely clogged. But a little bit of carb cleaner and some compressed air made them good as new again! Hoping to go riding in the next week or two again so well see. Thanks!

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Good job! Now have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts