Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I have never seen this before on any quad or bike I have owned so maybe one of you guys can help me out here....

Brand new raptor 700, I am out on the trails at Hatfield Mcoys in West Virginia and its slow going due to the terrain.. not what I was expecting put it that way.

Anyway, I pull off for a break to hear this weird noise and I thought it was coolent rushing back to the expansion tank... but upon further investigation it was coming from my fuel tank so I start to open the gas cap which has a lot of pressure behind it just to find my gas looks like it is boiling in the tank...wtf :wow: I think to myself.

Anyone want to shed some light on this? I was slow riding for about an hour with not much speed at most times...

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Like said above, cap or vent tube. What part of WV you from? I live in Charleston

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could smell the gas venting off and could hear the cap making a clicking sound.... its been fine up until today. I thought the heat off the engine was doing it but boiling?

Seriously I could see buubles like you would from boiling water.

Could be a bad cap huh???

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Sounds like there is dirt in the hose or down inside the cap itself. I'd definatly look into a cap

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Morgantown.... love it down this way might try little coal on my way back tomorrow :)

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
I hear ya. If your ever bored on a weekend and want some new trails let me know. I got about 300+ miles in my back yard. lol

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
How can I test the cap? Vent hose is a no brainer.
Take it off, and suck on the place that the vent hose attachs too. That's how I've always did it. It should flow pretty easy if its good.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will give that a try in the morning, is this a normal thing with these bikes? Never had this happen before but never owned anything with fuel injection either....lol

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
I've never had it happen to me. But I've seen maybe 1 or 2 threads on this subject. More than likely you might of just picked up some mud or dust from these WV hills.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
lol Thats the spirit!

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I can suck air through it, but if I suck a little harder something clicks and my flow stops. Seems like it is something built Ito the cap and if I turn the cap upside down it sounds like a ball bearing... weird.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Thats the check valve I'd say. I'm stumped now. Did you try blowing back through it?

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think I did, I kinda did it quick as my 2 ATVs are loaded on my truck and some old guy was getting excited about me sucking on my hose.....lol

Seriously, no I don't think I did but if it was a check valve it is in backwards...lol

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kinda makes sence seeing as my fuel tank had so much pressure in it. I was kinda thinking it would crack under the pressure, when I cracked my cap the pressure bled off for about 15 seconds or so.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Ok I thought (Because on my 2010) it ONLY lets air IN the gas tank SO gas can go into the TB were as if it was blocked it would create suction and wouldn't supply gas to the motor...

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine has the opposite, the pressure in the tank is not escaping like it should. I am uncertain if at this time if it is breathing back in or not, something I will check in the morning.
Its only 2 weeks old so I will take it to my dealer and let them figure it out, I will tell them what you guys told me and what we did to verify this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Why would there be positive pressure in the tank?

And why would this cause the bubbling? I could see bubbling evaporation in extreme negative pressure, like outer space.

As far as I know, the vent in the cap is to let air in, to replace the gas as it is used. If it were the other way, gas wouldn't last long on a hot day.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts