Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2001 Raptor 660 yesterday, it was from a friend that passed away. It had been sitting in his garage for approximately 8-9 years without being used. The battery seems to be no good as expected, there had been mice living in the airbox as well. I also noticed there is a lever missing from above the clutch and wasn't sure what was there, perhaps a brake was removed? I went ahead and just ordered a new carb, air filter, spark plug, oil filter, chain lube. If you have any other tips that would be great. I am new to the forum so I'll be looking around here as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up a 2001 Raptor 660 yesterday, it was from a friend that passed away. It had been sitting in his garage for approximately 8-9 years without being used. The battery seems to be no good as expected, there had been mice living in the airbox as well. I also noticed there is a lever missing from above the clutch and wasn't sure what was there, perhaps a brake was removed? I went ahead and just ordered a new carb, air filter, spark plug, oil filter, chain lube. If you have any other tips that would be great. I am new to the forum so I'll be looking around here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts

Yeah above the clutch is the parking brake and another way to tell is there will be a plate on the back caliper on the backside which would be the back left side of caliper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update on getting this running:

Cleaned out the gas tank and replaced petcock
Replace carb with an amazon carb
Added vapor electronic gauge
changed oil, oil filter spark plug
Changed air filter
New battery

at first with the new carb in it wouldn't idle without the choke on, then I noticed the connecting tubes between the carb and the engine weren't on all the way and air was leaking, I got those on all the way and now it idles fine.

The problem now is I went to ride it and it will go in first gear and reverse so far but trying to go up a hill or riding ~40yds or so it just dies out, and trying to rev it higher doesn't help, it will just sputter out. It seems like it dies at about 3-4k rmp, perhaps a rev limiter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up cleaning the original carb jets and got it running good, found the jets may have been new because of an aftermarket exhaust, so the new carb I bought wouldn't have had updated jets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts