Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this may get moved to the lounge area, but at heart, it IS a Raptor 660..

So I got rid of the frame, and suspension, so what. LOL.. I built my own based on the Piranha plans from a company in Australia, and I did everything on this buggy, from the frame to the airbrushing, mounting the motor and making the necessary modifications to have a foot clutch and right hand shifter. All electrical extensions as well.. Changed the handlebar controls into flip switches on the dash, and even run the pair of KC's from the stock stator. (I read you have 244 watts from the stock system) I did manage to keep the reverse lever and the choke lever that came on the quad, eliminated the airbox (it had a pro-flow inside and K&N lid, I just have an open pro-flow mounted in a semi-protected "airbox" now that has no restrictions on flow, might as well be an open filter, but I needed something to deflect mud and water from the sides and top of the K&N). I shortened the LRD exhaust just a little as well.. (which may explain why its so loud, it may be packing too, I gotta check, but it was too loud for bystanders, though not loud at all for the driver)

The rear is custom machined to use 930 CV's as well as 12" travel fox coilovers for a double a-arm IRS, and power is transmitted to the wheels through a 530 chain and a 12 / 60 tooth sprocket setup to be able to push the 900lb buggy. Gearing is low, so top speed isnt the best, but the torque she has, she sure gets to speed pretty damn fast!

I actually just took it for its first test drive this weekend, and other than a few loose bolts, and an old battery that wasnt up to task, this thing is insane! Now I need to dis-assemble the whole thing, check all my welds, and paint the frame itself... Only the body panels have paint so far..

So, I will be sure to be asking some odd questions, particularly in terms of clutch upgrades and open airbox issues.. (I do race YFZ's in XC races, but I dont eliminate the air box, too much water in my races). So I'm gonna have to learn to jet this crazy little monster, which I see is a bit more involved than my YFZ's are. My clutch questions are gonna be in terms of something heavy duty.. After all, this frame is a bit heavier than the atv frame.. But the 12/60 sprockets help out a bit in that department, I still want to minimize the chance of a clutch failure..

I'll start my own threads on those questions when I get to those issues though, I just thought I would introduce myself and give some background for the odd questions to come..

Attachments

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Damn I can't imagine this was a raptor lol
You did a nice job man !
You should post a vid of that beast

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Andddddd you are driving around in an RC car that belongs to a giant. That thing does look pretty sweet though.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Very Nice................great job...............

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a ton of pics in a Facebook album of the build..

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=180745&id=552481838&l=5c8f0818cb

And there will certainly be video to come! I have a VIO POV myself, as well as a few camcorders (I make and edit XC race videos), today was just a shakedown run, front brakes still need brake lines, and alot of bolts to check and doublecheck. (too many hand-tightened ones during fab LOL).

I scored a deal on the 2004 raptor with some nice upgrades for the donor. Some I cant use (suspension is too light for the buggy), but it had a nice oversize oil tank, the reverse lever for the handlebar, air filter, etc... by the time I part out the donor bike, I hope to have a zero cost for the motor... (I will be listing some parts for sale, I just dont need them since I usually ride the YFZ's and dont have a raptor otherwise). Even came with a spare motor, minus the starter, and some cover bolts..

Prior to this build, I had never welded, used a plasma cutter, or airbrushed.. Only made a welding cart (typical first welding project). then I jumped in head first. Actually thought I was taking my time, and finished in just over 4 months.. I've been told on some offroad fab forums, that it was a lightning fast build for someones first time. Who knows, all I know is I got addicted to building and wanted to finish.. It was easy to spend hours in the garage, cutting, grinding, welding...

And today, well, it all came together.. I wish I had video but I just cracked my phone screen last night and had no cameras charged (doh!). But like I said, only a shakedown run to check for potential issues. I will post a video with helmet cam on several positions, as well as camcorder third-party views, this thing really needs that to be appreciated! The 660 I thought would be a dog, considering people put hayabusa motors in these buggys as well, but she surprised me... Tons and tons of punch, certainly didnt expect it... And I chose the 660 for the simple fact that it has reverse.. That, and well, I like my Yamahas...

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I'm jealous. Great job

·
Registered
435 Posts
HOLY CRAP. Thats beautiful. I always wanted a piranha buggy. Cant wait for a video. So I guess the plans are a good as they are supposed to be? Wanna share the file?

How did you know what axles and all that to use? Did the drawing spec it all out?

VIDEO!!!
VIDEO!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should be able to get some video this coming weekend. Got a few bugs to work out, some bolts to tighten, and a battery to change this week..

Speed Freak - The plans are good, but they ARE in metric. Everything is measured in mm. Had to look a little for a tape measure that had imperial AND metric, but I found one. The materials spec'd were metric too (i.e. 20x20, 30x30, 40x40 mm tube), and that makes you re-calculate everything if you build in the US using imperial measured steel (I used 3/4", 1" and 1.5" square tubing). Not hard, but you can't take the plans measurements as the final word (considering the change in widths of material, you gotta extend / shorten some parts by the difference)..

The drawings spec out axles for the single-a-arm rear using PTO shafts. They work, but arent the best option. I opted to do the dual a-arm rear and actually had Doug Heim (a buggy builder in WI) machine my stubs, etc.. The CV's are just 930 Lobro's and the axles are a standard buggy length. (dont remember it off the top of my head, but they can be bought off the shelf with no mods for the axles). Doug set me up with the rear end, hub to hub, in kit form (nothing welded, just laser cut plates and the stubs turned on a lathe), for a good price.

Cascade - the hood just HAD to go on there.. I love the look and I had it laying on strips of tape, in place, long before I even had the sheet metal cut to see how it would fit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL. I plan on shooting some video when I get up tomorrow.. After my last run and resulting short, it took me a little to find the right CDI. Then I needed to final paint / assemble.. Well, here she is, as she sits in my garage, just waiting for tomorrow.

I plan on a decent video, so it may take a day or two to edit, but I have the tune in my head already, and visions for my cuts :)

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok..

Its just a short video.. Really wanted more footage, but I snapped a spindle.. Broke the welds between the stub and pivot.. I had them made for me, and the machinist is standing behind his work, new ones will be on the way this week, and he wants the broken ones back to determine why the welds broke. For the riding I did today, they should have held up easily..

Exhaust is still too loud.. Replaced the exhaust gaskets (there weren't any in there when I bought it), and still sounds like open headers. I did shorten the exhaust, so I'm sure that didn't help, but this thing is just too loud. Going to try the "poor mans" quiet core (steel plate w/ 4x 1/2" holes put at the end of the can). If not, I may have to modify the stock muffler and see how that fares.

Anyways, here's a little teaser I threw together tonight. Still testing and beating it before I take it to a bigger ride area, so its a little boring. But its better than breaking it when I am 10mi from the truck!

http://carrilloracing.com/videos/piranha-1.wmv

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish.. No dunes in the northeast US though. LOL. Nope, she's a woods buggy, mainly gonna stick to some coal areas in PA, there are "black dunes" at one.. But nothing like real dunes. More for rough powerlines trails and fire roads. :) And anything thats wide enough to fit my 69" wide rearend through (lol that was a trip today, took a little getting used to the width on the trail to that field)

·
Registered
866 Posts
I wish.. No dunes in the northeast US though. LOL. Nope, she's a woods buggy, mainly gonna stick to some coal areas in PA, there are "black dunes" at one.. But nothing like real dunes. More for rough powerlines trails and fire roads. :) And anything thats wide enough to fit my 69" wide rearend through (lol that was a trip today, took a little getting used to the width on the trail to that field)
Yeah, well it will be a good woods machine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts