Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to rebuild my 01. I have just bought an 02 lower end for the transmission off Ebay. I also picked up a spare cylinder that I can have bored ahead of time. Last week I purchased used 35mm FCR's. Today I stopped by Vito's shop and picked up his 720 kit. I think I have everything.

I plan to take a week off in April to do the rebuild, and other projects. I worry about splitting the cases, and pulling the crank off the left case. I have read Raptorforme93 current thread. I have done top ends on these motors but haven't split the cases before. I have split the cases on 2 stroke motors before. I have yet to read thru the Raptor manual. Anyway, I have a big project and can't wait to get started.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Sounds like it should be a nice build when you're done, you have some good components there and the 02 trans upgrade will provide some reliability. Best of luck!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I am planning to rebuild my 01. I have just bought an 02 lower end for the transmission off Ebay. I also picked up a spare cylinder that I can have bored ahead of time. Last week I purchased used 35mm FCR's. Today I stopped by Vito's shop and picked up his 720 kit. I think I have everything.

I plan to take a week off in April to do the rebuild, and other projects. I worry about splitting the cases, and pulling the crank off the left case. I have read Raptorforme93 current thread. I have done top ends on these motors but haven't split the cases before. I have split the cases on 2 stroke motors before. I have yet to read thru the Raptor manual. Anyway, I have a big project and can't wait to get started.
Include a 3 plugger and you will have a monster.............

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Include a 3 plugger and you will have a monster.............
Hey Willykiller,

I have thought about your head, but putting it on my 03. I am doing the "01" 720 build for my friends and family to ride... :) I still want the "03", the quad I ride, to be faster... :D

My "03" was built my Tim Barker 4 or 5 years ago. It has Wiseco 11-1, 100.2mm piston, Barker stock length rod, Hot cams stage 2, mild port, dual LTE's.

Last week I ordered 39mm FCR's for it. My next top end will be a Wiseco 11/1, 102mm for a 686.

These will be the last quads I own in this life time. I will keep them to play in the winter and maybe a trip or two to the dunes. I generally ride my bike once the weather breaks. It is a big bore KTM dual sport that I can ride anywhere.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Get yourself a Clymer manuel off e-bay. It is a little more detailed than the stock manuel. Splitting the case is not hard. Make sure you use Yamabond 4 on rebuild. Check your 03 tranny for any play in the gears. You may need to replace the bushings. Have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I am in day 2 of my rebuild.

I worried about splitting the cases and pulling the crank out. I ended up chickening out. I took my Ebay "02" cases to Iron Dog Jerry, a local wrench in Clio Mi, who charged me $75 to install the Vito's crank in the stand alone cases. You may recall that I bought the cases to replace the "01" tranny. Jerry said the "02" tranny was in great shape.

Anyway, Jerry also found the front cam guide holder was snapped off the Ebay cases rendering the case useless. He charged me another $75 to repair the case which is noted in the picture below. He did a great job for me.

Tomorrow I start to put the quad together.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Looks like fun... I am halfway through my build to but I gotta do it when I get spare time so I only get a Hour here and there so it seems to be talking forever:( but I'm hoping this weekend it will come to life.

I have a few friend that live up in the Clio area, well one just moved down to Lansing. Seems to be a lot of Michiganders on here... Good luck with you build:)

·
DWR-President
1,966 Posts
Not to hard to do... Just have head left to put on mine and motor should be done. Hang in there and next one give it a shot, not near as hard you would think. Tranny was cake, the water pump mechanical seal and ring gap'n gave me more issue than bottom end. Also save a few steels off your old clutch and make a "basket holding" tool, helps.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best of luck to ya...case fix looks great.
Thanks Banshee, I finished the build this morning and than got my garage back in order. The quad started and ran briefly but I noticed gas pouring out the carb overflow. I pulled my new, "used" 35mm FCR carbs off and adjusted the float level. I put it back together but couldn't get the quad started again. I may have flooded it. I pulled the plug and it was wet and replaced it. Huge gas spray coming out open plug hole as I turned it over once. I ran out of time, a bump start may have got it going.

I am back to work tomorrow ending my "spring break" engine build vacation. I wish I had one more day to break it in and work the jetting. Anyway, I now have a Barker rod in both my Raptors. Whoo hoo!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts