Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a set of 2006 YFZ450 front shocks.... I wiegh arnd 290 lbs.... Can someone give me some suggestions or help on getting them set right....? ? ? I only trail ride..... usually climb hills and jumps.... I have been trying to find some websites to help me get them set right... but no luck so far.... So i would love some suggestions, or some websites,,... that tell me how to get the shocks set right...
I know that some of the setup i just have to do on my own , by just the feel of the bike.... but there has to be a way to get the shocks close to where they need to be, and then me fine tweek them,,,,.....

Thanks for info

Plattner

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
I weigh over 100lbs lighter than you so my settings will be off for you but then again I ride alot rougher than you. Loosten up the lock ring on the spring collar and spin the preload down 3 turns(make the shock longer). Turn the compression all the way out and back it in 2 clicks(bottom adjustment). Now the rebound(top adjustment) will be something you will have to play with but you want it to come up fast after compressing but not too fast to were the front bucks up after a jump. Now the rear I would just turn the compression all the way in and then back out 2 clicks- IMO this will put ya in the ballpark for your weight.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man.... I put the shocks on last weekend when i was taking the motor apart to send to ya.... I just figured i wanted some suggestions on how to set the shocks up, bcs once i get the motor back, i will just want to put everything back together and ride....

Thanks man
Plattner

·
Registered
429 Posts
The first thing you should do is probably compress the front spring about 2 to 3 turn ( both shocks equally ) than ride it. I wouldn't start adjusting the dampining or compression until you have run it across the terrain that you will most commonly ride. Also you will want to take into consideration the speed that you ride, the settings will react different in slow mode versus fast. Adjust 1 thing at a time then ride it to see what the changes have done. To get the front to work with the rear it will take you a few tries to get it dialed in so be patient.

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
The main thing is about the compression is if the front and rears are at stock settings then the fronts are gonna be way stiff and the rear is way soft(the rear is softer than the stockers much less the YFZs). I have seen people leave as they are but they are so different in set up that I would at least get em close to each other.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all of this is great help... thanks guys... any more help is welcome.... i will be setting my shocks here in a couple weeks after i get my motor put back together...
Thanks again everyone

Plattner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts