Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my rear brake rotor cause the stock one got bent, and now my pads drag horribly and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to adjust the brakes. I have never been good with brakes, and I can tell you I have turned every bolt in that area trying to figure out how to adjust the pads. Any help would be awesome, especailly something with pics. :unsure:

Thanks alo in advance.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you still have the parking brake it needs to be backed off, a bolt with a jam nut sticking out the left side of the caliper. Other than that just push the caliper back in wiith a "C" clamp, SLOWLY. If you do it to fast you can damage the mastercylinder. Another option is to open the bleeded with a
c-clamp on it and let some of the fluid out while squeezing it back. Bleeding the brakes after this is a good idea. Don't forget to refill the master cylinder.

How hard was it to get the caliper over the disk when you put it back together? It should slide on easily.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you guys describe this C clamp thing better? Or have any pictures? I am so clueless when it comes to brakes. The whole caliper slid over the rotor easily it just drags and Im not sure how to adjust that. Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
If the caliper slid in easily like you said, you won't need the C-clamp. Try bleeding the brakes and adjusting the parking brake.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
next time your in a hardware store look in the tool section, there nothing special. looks like a big letter "C" with a screw in it.

Is it draging to the point where you notice it while riding, is the caliper hot, can you feel it if you push the quad, or is it a little drag while the wheels are off the ground. A little drag is normal. Trying to get an idea of how much drag your talking about.

Calipers will get gummed up and not release properly, there are rebuild kits available but if your not comfortable with brake work this might be something to stay away from.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its dragging to the point where its hard to push the quad.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hairballusmaximus said:
sounds like your parking brake needs adjusting.
That could be becuase I have noticed the parking brake really doesnt do sh*t when on. How do you adjust the parking brake?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Its actually a lot easier to do than it is to explain! There is a bolt that threads into the caliper and has a jamb nut on it. This is part of the adjustment and cable is the other, I just fiddled with mine a little while and figured it out pretty easily. Have fun! :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts