Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have changed my rear brakes 4 times now and the rear brakes don't work as they did stock. I bled them the right way, i dnt know what the problem could be, i have to press the pedal all the way down and the quad barely stops. I dn't get that locking up action as i did when it was stock. I changed the caliper and still the same problem, any ideas??

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Pump the pedal as you have been, hold pressure on the pedal and loosen the bleeder screw.
Before the pedal reaches the end of travel tighten the bleeder.
Repeat as necessary. Don't let the resivour (sp?) run out of fluid or you can start over.

Others say you can put the caliper above the mastercylinder and leave the bleeder open and the air will come out on it's own, I've never tried this.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
After you get clear fluid do a few more pumps to be sure you got the air. A piece of tube over the bleader into a jar keeps the mess to a minium and help keep air from getting in thru the bleeder.
Good luck.

·
Registered
364 Posts
if you have the 03 or earlier model then you need to take it into Yamaha and have them perform a recall procedure. Its free and will fix your problem.....good luck,

Max

·
Registered
364 Posts
i can't explain it in detail as i never quite understood it myself.....i just know that i experienced exactly what you did and after taking it into Yami for the recall it fixed the problem. Call your Yamaha dealer and have them run your VIN.....they may tell you to bring it in. good luck,

max+

·
Registered
115 Posts
This seems like the same problem im having. I'm going to call my local dealer tommorow to see if my bike falls into the recall. I have an 03' .

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
The recall related to the hard mounting of the fluid reservoir to the frame. Vibrations would cause air bubbles to become entrapped in the fluid, which were sucked into the master cylinder and get pushed into the brake line. Air in the m/c and brake line is bad, as you have seen. The fix was to isolate the reservoir from the frame by enlarging the reservoir's mounting holes and installing rubber grommets in the holes, with the bolts going through the grommets. This reduces the vibration coupled into the fluid... no more air bubbles.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts