Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Magura site and came across larger mastercylinder in 13mm 16 mm and 20mm sizes.
Anyone familare with selecting a mastercylinder for a brake system?

Or how about mixing a system designed for mineral oil and calipers that have had dot4 brake fluid in them? I thought I saw somewhere in the magura site or dennis kirk's catalog that they needed mineral oil, can't find it now, I could be mistaken about the oil/fluid in the brakes.

A little info I found on brake fluids,
http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Are you replacing the whole brake system or just the master cylinder. If just the master is it dot 4 compatible,..my opinion is stay with dot 4..and flush with dot 4. keep mineral oil and dot 5 away from the quad unless you replace the whole braking system with dot 5 spec'd braking system...components of a dot 3-4 braking system are most of the time not compatible with that of components with the dot 5 braking system. Make sure that for a starting point the stroke is close to the one of the origianl mastercylinder as well, you can go up insize from the origibal bore but, only one size bigger,..after that it will make your braking very sensitive and touchy,..to the point where just tapping them could lock your brakes and cause you to loose control. usually when they go up in bore size, they go down in stroke ,so less movement of your hand is required to get the same braking effect...which reduces hand fatigue... ,..but increases brake sensitivity..

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know about the one size step. Thats about what I figured, that the brakes would get super touchey if the cylinder were increased to much. Not intrested in the dot5 fluid, I think I'd have the moisture mix in rather than collect in one spot.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
a good trade off is finding a four wheeler that has a slighlty better balanced bore and stroke. I'm getting a 450 trx master for the front just to see how much better it is and if its compatible. I know its capable of pushing more fluid out and is a hair more sensitive,..I'm almost sure it will work better, I'd rather try it out before I say it is better.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Supposedly the trx cylinder works, was quoted under $100 for one. Considering the magura's are roughly $200 to $400 it's a better place to start.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Sweet, It'll be a while before I get to test one.. If you get around to it before me, let me know how it works...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts