Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using from brakes and getting the longest life out of them? I just put rears on my Raptor last month and after about 15 hours of riding they're gone. I got dusty, muddy, rocky conditions here. Just wondering what everyone is using without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
If you're going through pads that fast, your brake rotor may be bent.

I stuck with OEM since it worked well for me and was reasonably priced.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're going through pads that fast, your brake rotor may be bent.

I stuck with OEM since it worked well for me and was reasonably priced.
I thought that too, but it's not. I layed it on a flat glass table. No bends, warps, or knicks. I think the terrain is just eating them alive. I had the same problem with my TRX.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Strange. I rode in same conditions and the pads lasted a very long time (years).

If you jack up the rear and spin the tires, does the brake rotor contact the pads at all during it's rotation?

Maybe you have a caliper sticking. Might be time to take it apart and clean any rust off the piston.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
I thought that too, but it's not. I layed it on a flat glass table. No bends, warps, or knicks. I think the terrain is just eating them alive. I had the same problem with my TRX.
Quit riding them like a granny and they'll last longer:D im still rockin my stock ones as i don't use my rear brakes @ all i just down shift;)

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
EBC Severe Duty pads work great last a long time.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, I hardly use them! I'm surprise the fronts arent shot to pieces but they are perfectly fine! The stock pads lasted a very long time and would probably still be there if I didn't have a incident with a rock and bent rotor. I got it apart right now trying to fix the front busted brake line. I guess I'll buy another set of pads and grease the hell out of everything while I'm at it.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
check your rotor it could be bent. on my wolverine i had a bad front bearing and the brakes didn't last long. But i like the EBC red / x ones. i just replaced my rear rotor and brake pads but i did it before it ate up the pads. when it comes to the brakes go with the best EBCs. dose any one know how to adjust the rear brake caliper i replaced my brake line then when i put the brake back it was tight but then i rode and it was smoking for a little but but it seams fine now.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
(Maybe you have a caliper sticking. Might be time to take it apart and clean any rust off the piston) Dude Mind did this and Five sets of pads later I took it all apart and come to find out it was the E-brake dragging...

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a block off kit on mine.

·
Registered
615 Posts
EBC Severe Duty pads work great last a long time.
+1, these pads are awesome, mud is one of the hardest things on brake pads. I have seen guys eat up a set a brake pads in one day of riding before from being in the mud. I went to these on my outlander (in the mud alot) and they last about 3 times more than anything else. Ferodo makes a really good set of pads as well.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I have went back to using stock replacement pads on the rear of my 06 raptor. I dont know if somebody can verify me on this but the stock pads have a little nub on the back of the pad that fits into the slot of the piston as I have not found any aftermarket pads with this. I went through a set of pads every ride and they didnt even hold up to the entire ride and also I rarely even use them. The stock yamaha pads I put on last year lasted me the entire year, could the piston be turning itself out during riding and wearing them out? I have a set of aftermarket pads I am going to drill the back of and press a small pin into and test them out with that theory in mind.

·
1%ER VIP
313 Posts
How about brake discs? Anyone recommend a Nice set?

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
What are you guys using from brakes and getting the longest life out of them? I just put rears on my Raptor last month and after about 15 hours of riding they're gone. I got dusty, muddy, rocky conditions here. Just wondering what everyone is using without breaking the bank.
Are the pads wearing evenly? Same wear on the outside and inside pad?

If the inside pad is wearing quicker, then you have either the caliper piston sticking or the caliper slide pins are sticking.

If you jack up the quad a spin the rear axle, is there any drag?

I can't see even the cheapest pads lasting only 15 hrs. You should get much more out of them, even in muddy conditions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts